rubyroserm
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
at GCSE I dint really know what I wanted to do.
other the summer I was introduced to medicine career meeting things? from the sixth form I applied to
and ive gained a huge interest in medicine and never really had a goal I wanted to reach for (ive read many books since summer and now about medicine and watched a lot of programmes)

so now im studying bio and chemistry to do it especially
however bc I didn't know what I wanted to do at GCSE, I only focused on the subjects I liked (bio and maths) as all the teachers say stick with what u enjoy lmao
and never did I think I wanted to do chemistry so I didn't try so much in it

and I did higher for all my subjects but got only average grades (and bc it was teacher assessed, I didn't try in year 7,8,9 and 10ish bc I didn't think about it much, and I got told they look at past exams? )
(7 in maths, 7 in bio, 7 in geography, 6-6 in English then 5 in chem and physics and Spanish)
and I know that for medicine you need good GCSE grades for and all my a level teachers say I won't be able to do it which has made me very upset (even crying over it bc I hate people saying I can't do things, even tho they're probs right ) and because I want to do medicine and not anything else as they suggest.

does anyone have any advice or suggestions on what I could do?
or any one has experienced this and study medicine pls help!
Last edited by rubyroserm; 1 week ago
some.student123
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Don’t lose hope! A lot of med unis don’t look at GCSEs, and they mainly care about your A level predicted grades and your admissions test scores (UCAT and BMAT). Maybe you’ll have to research and avoid unis that heavily base their selection on GCSEs like Oxford, but there’s still a lot of choice! Just work hard and consistently on your A levels throughout the year and leave enough time to revise for your admissions tests, as the admissions process gets a bit overwhelming around October of year 13 if you don’t use your time well during year 12.
Last edited by some.student123; 1 week ago
rubyroserm
Rep:
(Original post by some.student123)
Don’t lose hope! A lot of med unis don’t look at GCSEs, and they mainly care about your A level predicted grades and your admissions test scores (UCAT and BMAT). Maybe you’ll have to research and avoid unis that heavily base their selection on GCSEs like Oxford, but there’s still a lot of choice! Just work hard and consistently on your A levels throughout the year and leave enough time to revise for your admissions tests, as the admissions process gets a bit overwhelming around October of year 13 if you don’t use your time well during year 12.
ahhh Im trying not to, Its just teachers saying I won't be able to do it, even tho im in a new school and they don't know me. I also applied for this medicine summer school thing? and they didn't accept me bc of my GCSE grades, but I know I can do much better now I know I got something to work for? I did exams last week for my subjects and got all a*. ive been on top of all my work but now im just getting tired bc I don't know if I can make it

but thanks for ur advice! I won't give up (hopefully ahah) !
sx12333
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by rubyroserm)
at GCSE I dint really know what I wanted to do.
other the summer I was introduced to medicine career meeting things? from the sixth form I applied to
and ive gained a huge interest in medicine and never really had a goal I wanted to reach for (ive read many books since summer and now about medicine and watched a lot of programmes)

so now im studying bio and chemistry to do it especially
however bc I didn't know what I wanted to do at GCSE, I only focused on the subjects I liked (bio and maths) as all the teachers say stick with what u enjoy lmao
and never did I think I wanted to do chemistry so I didn't try so much in it

and I did higher for all my subjects but got only average grades (and bc it was teacher assessed, I didn't try in year 7,8,9 and 10ish bc I didn't think about it much, and I got told they look at past exams? )
(7 in maths, 7 in bio, 7 in geography, 6-6 in English then 5 in chem and physics and Spanish)
and I know that for medicine you need good GCSE grades for and all my a level teachers say I won't be able to do it which has made me very upset (even crying over it bc I hate people saying I can't do things, even tho they're probs right ) and because I want to do medicine and not anything else as they suggest.

does anyone have any advice or suggestions on what I could do?
or any one has experienced this and study medicine pls help!
You could apply to foundation medicine
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by rubyroserm)
ahhh Im trying not to, Its just teachers saying I won't be able to do it, even tho im in a new school and they don't know me. I also applied for this medicine summer school thing? and they didn't accept me bc of my GCSE grades, but I know I can do much better now I know I got something to work for? I did exams last week for my subjects and got all a*. ive been on top of all my work but now im just getting tired bc I don't know if I can make it

but thanks for ur advice! I won't give up (hopefully ahah) !
No offense to your teachers but they don't know what they're talking about. Not all medicine applicants have straight 9's, you just have to apply strategically. Avoid GCSE heavy med schools like Oxford, Cardiff, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool etc. Try to get a high UCAT score in summer as that can open up many options for less GCSE heavy schools like Newcastle, Bristol, QMUL, Southampton or Imperial (BMAT)
rubyroserm
Rep:
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
No offense to your teachers but they don't know what they're talking about. Not all medicine applicants have straight 9's, you just have to apply strategically. Avoid GCSE heavy med schools like Oxford, Cardiff, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool etc. Try to get a high UCAT score in summer as that can open up many options for less GCSE heavy schools like Newcastle, Bristol, QMUL, Southampton or Imperial (BMAT)
ahh thank you, defo made me feel much better
ElderlyMedic
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
or you may endup with us in Ukraine, maybe get scammed, maybe endup as MD, who knows ...adventure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (3)
6.52%
Okay (17)
36.96%
A bit lacking (13)
28.26%
Not good at all (13)
28.26%

Watched Threads