I am absolutely ******** it about my GCSEs

Watch
Mephlick
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So, in short.
- Want to be a doctor, taking triple science
- Results came out as 3 for biology (which I thought was my strongest subject) and 4 for chem and physics, with only one mark difference towards physics.
- My school is the worst in my city and almost my entire county.
- Quality of education is terrible and the only person who did well got 9s and 8s because they spend literally all of their free time in constant revision.
- I am absolutely terrified of not even having the minimum grades for a university to consider accepting me.
- The only thing I did well in is an 8 for English Lit and 6 for Lang, as well as a L2D on my Health & Social mock.
- I am apparently the best in my class at maths, and I'm in the second of like 8 sets, and I got a FOUR.
- Got put down two sets in English, Maths and Science in year 9 for months, then suddenly thrust back into doing physics I didn't understand. (Thank god we don't have to memorize these equations)
- Next physics teacher taught us nothing (except for how to siphon petrol) and then fled to Morocco to teach English.
- We have had 7 headteachers in the five years I've been here.

I am ****ed.

And to top it off, my mental health is slowly deteriorating to the point where if I'm not watching a revision video I feel like I'm an actual failure.
To put into perspective how bad my school is, even with all of that information, grade 5 attainment last year was like 23% for the whole year.
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Watch freesciencelessons/cognito for sciences, make sure you understood everything, memorise the things you need to memorise, then do past papers.... you will improve.

For maths, practice, practice, practice.
Last edited by summerbirdreads; 1 week ago
temil939
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CosmicApathy1)
Grow a pair of balls and stop crying over literal passes. Some would kill for those qualifications.
you dont know what could be happening at home, also why cant he be disappointed with a 3 and 4s, hes got every right to be disappointed as he clearly said he wants to be a doctor and therefore he isnt currently at his target
Mephlick
Rep:
Grow a pair of balls and stop crying over literal passes. Some would kill for those qualifications.
I'm not sure whether you're serious or not with the joker profile pic
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
If I were you, I'd try to get to do the necessary sciences for A-Levels and do well in those- GCSE's ultimately don't matter much in the end. As long as you have the necessary English grade, which you do (probably? Idk squat about medicine tbf) then just take Maths for A-Level and pass that perfectly (I doubt a medical uni would turn you down if you had great math A-Level but awful math GCSE.) Then fill up your other two subjects with Bio/Chem or whatever else- the two you likely (probably? Again, idk squat) and you'll be fine.
yippy-yikes
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I'm going to add on from the suggestions but seneca learning is another good resource to help you (it helps with recapping the main parts you need to know). Oh, and check out savemyexams.com as they have great revision notes

Also considering the state of your school, if you fall under any other contextual criteria then you might be able to apply to medicine with a foundation year (so you do 6 years instead of 5). There are always ways around it if you are that determined
Last edited by yippy-yikes; 1 week ago
samiii_00
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Grow a pair of balls and try to see past ur own standards. Grades are subjective, “passes” are probs good enough for you but not FOR HIM because he knows he’s capable of better grades.
L-K
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mephlick)
So, in short.
- Want to be a doctor, taking triple science
- Results came out as 3 for biology (which I thought was my strongest subject) and 4 for chem and physics, with only one mark difference towards physics.
- My school is the worst in my city and almost my entire county.
- Quality of education is terrible and the only person who did well got 9s and 8s because they spend literally all of their free time in constant revision.
- I am absolutely terrified of not even having the minimum grades for a university to consider accepting me.
- The only thing I did well in is an 8 for English Lit and 6 for Lang, as well as a L2D on my Health & Social mock.
- I am apparently the best in my class at maths, and I'm in the second of like 8 sets, and I got a FOUR.
- Got put down two sets in English, Maths and Science in year 9 for months, then suddenly thrust back into doing physics I didn't understand. (Thank god we don't have to memorize these equations)
- Next physics teacher taught us nothing (except for how to siphon petrol) and then fled to Morocco to teach English.
- We have had 7 headteachers in the five years I've been here.

I am ****ed.

And to top it off, my mental health is slowly deteriorating to the point where if I'm not watching a revision video I feel like I'm an actual failure.
To put into perspective how bad my school is, even with all of that information, grade 5 attainment last year was like 23% for the whole year.
That all sounds so tough, but don't give up. It's still early days and you can improve your grades. Try using Seneca Learning to help with revision and then do past paper questions.
Applying for medicine will be very difficult if your grades don't improve, everywhere is so oversubscribed they have no time fit those who haven't got the grades no matter what the circumstances.
However, it may be that you are eligible to study medicine with a foundation year, which you can do at certain universities. I'm no expect, but it's definitely worth looking into.
Last edited by L-K; 1 week ago
L-K
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by yippy-yikes)
I'm going to add on from the suggestions but seneca learning is another good resource to help you (it helps with recapping the main parts you need to know). Oh, and check out savemyexams.com as they have great revision notes

Also considering the state of your school, if you fall under any other contextual criteria then you might be able to apply to medicine with a foundation year (so you do 6 years instead of 5). There are always ways around it if you are that determined
So weird that I was writing my reply at the same time and made the two same points! Great minds and all that!
Math.Qs
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Unis have started introducing contextual bullshxt for people who went to underperforming schools. You're almost guaranteed interviews/offers if you are fulfil contextual requirements.
Last edited by Math.Qs; 1 week ago
yippy-yikes
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by L-K)
So weird that I was writing my reply at the same time and made the two same points! Great minds and all that!
Hahaha yeah, great minds think alike! :emog:
Mephlick
Rep:
(Original post by Math.Qs)
Unis have started introducing contextual bullshxt for people who went to underperforming schools. You're almost guaranteed interviews/offers if you are fulfil contextual requirements.
Why don't you agree with it? It sounds like a good way to bring gifted but poor youth a chance.
yippy-yikes
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Not exactly for Medicine - their foundation year which is aimed at contextual applicants from underperforming areas etc. is more competitive than the standard 5 years (as say for examples, ~200 places available for standard course but ~30 places available for the foundation year)
samiii_00
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Why don't you agree with it? It sounds like a good way to bring gifted but poor youth a chance.
Probs a privileged Edward from central London that is annoyed poor deprived kids will end up with the same job as him ((((
Satori Tendō
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
It's been that way for a while and it isn't bull. Not everyone has equal footing in life, some haven't had the best foundation in life and schooling.

Yet if they're able to work hard even in those circumstances and earn the required entry requirements (or lowered depending on uni but med is probably not that lenient), I see no reason why they shouldn't be given a chance to stand in the same ring as others who have had early educational/socioeconomic advantages.

It shows resilience, the ability to thrive in surroundings that may not always benefit you and that's a very desirable skill.
Math.Qs
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I feel that everyone faces some kind of hardship in life.Whether it be children of rich parents or poor parents. At the end of the day, everyone has to work hard to achieve good grades. Giving poorer students lower grade requirements is just unfair in my opinion.
samiii_00
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
I feel that everyone faces some kind of hardship in life.Whether it be children of rich parents or poor parents. At the end of the day, everyone has to work hard to achieve good grades. Giving poorer students lower grade requirements is just unfair in my opinion.
Jheeze u are ignorant. Poorer students are disadvantaged massively in comparison to wealthier students. They don’t have private tuition, extra classes, teachers who are actually paid enough to care, facilities to improve their grades, school finances to provide them with study guides or revision materials. The level fields are completely uneven so the contextual offer that’s usually just ONE GRADE below the entry requirement is absolutely fair.
Mephlick
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Everyone has to work hard but some have to work harder. Some people go home to sleep without a bed, or get unhealthy meals not made by their parents, who in a lot of cases are not together or not willing to financially support their children. Their mental health is also more likely to be effected by living in poor conditions which of course can effect their grades.
skylark2
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
You may have to just use school as a means of getting free exam entry and resources. You're back in the top sets now, right,except maths? Get hold of the syllabuses for maths and the sciences, figure out what you haven't covered / didn't understand, and go find another learning method. Probably the internet - people have pointed you at various options already, but if you're someone who works better out of books then the Letts Revise series is good (and year old copies are pretty cheap - but don't go for ancient ones unless you're prepared to do a lot of work figuring out what is and isn't relevant to your syllabus any more). If you can get into the top set for maths, do it. If not, see if the teacher will give you the work they are doing.

If you have even one enthusiastic and encouraging teacher, whatever subject they teach, go talk to them and tell them you want to do medicine. Having someone who knows you're aiming high does help, even if it's only one person.

Universities are sympathetic to people who've had a truly dreadful education, but you do have to have done the best you can despite it - it is not a free pass to getting your results ignored. I'm afraid you're going to need to be person #2 at your school who spends literally all their time in constant revision. Well, not all. But a significant chunk of it, at least while you catch up.

Good luck! If you really want this, it is possible. But just wanting it won't be enough - you are going to have to do a lot of self-teaching and you're going to have to spend time when your mates are doing fun stuff doing less fun academic stuff.
Honey57
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
For Maths- use Mathswatch
You’re good at the Englishs so I wouldn’t worry about them
For triple science use the cgp revision guides for each of the sciences (that’s how you get a grade 9)
If you do geography or a language, use the cgp revision guides too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.83%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.42%
No (109)
26.91%
I'm not sure (52)
12.84%

Watched Threads