I am absolutely ******** it about my GCSEs

Watch
samiii_00
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ih8snowflakes.)
Relax, gcses mean barely anything anyway bro. Do you know what I did with mine? I picked them up and threw them away
I don’t meant to be the bearer of bad news. But try applying to Medicine/Dentistry or oxbridge with average GCSEs :/
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mephlick)
So, in short.
- Want to be a doctor, taking triple science
- Results came out as 3 for biology (which I thought was my strongest subject) and 4 for chem and physics, with only one mark difference towards physics.
- My school is the worst in my city and almost my entire county.
- Quality of education is terrible and the only person who did well got 9s and 8s because they spend literally all of their free time in constant revision.
- I am absolutely terrified of not even having the minimum grades for a university to consider accepting me.
- The only thing I did well in is an 8 for English Lit and 6 for Lang, as well as a L2D on my Health & Social mock.
- I am apparently the best in my class at maths, and I'm in the second of like 8 sets, and I got a FOUR.
- Got put down two sets in English, Maths and Science in year 9 for months, then suddenly thrust back into doing physics I didn't understand. (Thank god we don't have to memorize these equations)
- Next physics teacher taught us nothing (except for how to siphon petrol) and then fled to Morocco to teach English.
- We have had 7 headteachers in the five years I've been here.

I am ****ed.

And to top it off, my mental health is slowly deteriorating to the point where if I'm not watching a revision video I feel like I'm an actual failure.
To put into perspective how bad my school is, even with all of that information, grade 5 attainment last year was like 23% for the whole year.
What year are you in?

If I was in your situation this is what I would do.

Stop worrying about your past school attainment and stuff related to that. There is nothing you can do to improve that. Stop thinking you are ****ed and start using it as a motivation tool.

Next thing is to do some research. Look at medical schools that have the lowest grade offers. When you are doing this research also look at unis that give contextual offers based on your area etc. This helps you know what grades you need to work towards. No point trying to get the highest grades in everything. You need to work to improve your grades to the minimum you need to be considered. Anything higher might be unattainable and/or seriously impact your mental health/burn you out. This is soemthing I had to learn the hard way.

Have a hard look as you how you revise and if it’s effective. I was insistent on making notes on everything so they were neat. This takes to long, doesn’t help and is a waste of time. Have a look to see if your revision techniques actually help.

spend a day auditing yourself. Go over past papers, end of topic tests etc and in every subject you aren’t happy with make a list of skills or topics to go over (realistically with your grades this list is going to be long). Prioritise what is the most important if you don’t have time to cover it all.

Combine your skills audit with different revision tests and start improving. If you have savings try to use things like uplearn. There’s lots of questions on a rooms sites online that you can use to quiz yourself.

If you are a GCSE student 1-2 hours of revision/homework after school every night and 3-4 on weekends. This has to be focused revision for it to work

If you are an a level student 2-3 hours extra on a weekday of revision/homework. 4-6 on a weekend. This should help improve your grades.

I’m not saying this would work for you but this is personally what I would do.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What year are you in?

If I was in your situation this is what I would do.

Stop worrying about your past school attainment and stuff related to that. There is nothing you can do to improve that. Stop thinking you are ****ed and start using it as a motivation tool.

Next thing is to do some research. Look at medical schools that have the lowest grade offers. When you are doing this research also look at unis that give contextual offers based on your area etc. This helps you know what grades you need to work towards. No point trying to get the highest grades in everything. You need to work to improve your grades to the minimum you need to be considered. Anything higher might be unattainable and/or seriously impact your mental health/burn you out. This is soemthing I had to learn the hard way.

Have a hard look as you how you revise and if it’s effective. I was insistent on making notes on everything so they were neat. This takes to long, doesn’t help and is a waste of time. Have a look to see if your revision techniques actually help.

spend a day auditing yourself. Go over past papers, end of topic tests etc and in every subject you aren’t happy with make a list of skills or topics to go over (realistically with your grades this list is going to be long). Prioritise what is the most important if you don’t have time to cover it all.

Combine your skills audit with different revision tests and start improving. If you have savings try to use things like uplearn. There’s lots of questions on a rooms sites online that you can use to quiz yourself.

If you are a GCSE student 1-2 hours of revision/homework after school every night and 3-4 on weekends. This has to be focused revision for it to work

If you are an a level student 2-3 hours extra on a weekday of revision/homework. 4-6 on a weekend. This should help improve your grades.

I’m not saying this would work for you but this is personally what I would do.
Just realised I’ve been a minor idiot as it’s clear you are doing GCSE’s from the title. Ignore what I said about a level revision times!
7Falls
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
watch free science lessons and use Seneca then do all the physcisandmathtutor question banks to try and improve those grades. Also use mathgenie for your maths. You still have plenty of time to get there don't worry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads