Wheresthecake
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
A student exclaimed that another student did something that could be classed as bullying. Then the other started name calling back. I of course have no idea that these students are friends. I made a note on file about the exchange between the two of them and of course they came running round to find me.

All of a sudden one student went “I’m taking this further and above you” I said that’s absolutely fine. But yku must understand what you said about x student is classed as potentially bullying. If I ignored it and moved on and jt sas serious I wouldn’t be doing my job right. He was still adamant he needed to complain. They were both in the wrong by the end saying mean things but then suddenly They’re saying they’ll complain.

Surely I did the right thing? Can they really complain about me?
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wheresthecake)
A student exclaimed that another student did something that could be classed as bullying. Then the other started name calling back. I of course have no idea that these students are friends. I made a note on file about the exchange between the two of them and of course they came running round to find me.

All of a sudden one student went “I’m taking this further and above you” I said that’s absolutely fine. But yku must understand what you said about x student is classed as potentially bullying. If I ignored it and moved on and jt sas serious I wouldn’t be doing my job right. He was still adamant he needed to complain. They were both in the wrong by the end saying mean things but then suddenly They’re saying they’ll complain.

Surely I did the right thing? Can they really complain about me?
They can certainly complain, but I wouldn't worry about it. I would expect that whoever they complain to will just reiterate that they shouldn't be making comments of that sort in the classroom, and that teachers who report these sorts of issues through the behaviour system are just trying to keep them safe in school.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hang on, why were the students aware that a note had been made about this incident? If you're passing something of this nature on, the students shouldn't be aware who has passed this on.

They probably will complain, but that doesn't mean anything will happen as a result of this.
Wheresthecake
Rep:
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Hang on, why were the students aware that a note had been made about this incident? If you're passing something of this nature on, the students shouldn't be aware who has passed this on.

They probably will complain, but that doesn't mean anything will happen as a result of this.
Because one of the was being slightly rude towards the other and name calling in a borderline racist manner so I put it on for a detention followed by a day in isolation too and the student said “why do I have iso for” and I put the other student in detention for calling names to that exact student after.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wheresthecake)
Because one of the was being slightly rude towards the other and name calling in a borderline racist manner so I put it on for a detention followed by a day in isolation too and the student said “why do I have iso for” and I put the other student in detention for calling names to that exact student after.
Right, I see.

I think in this situation, it's totally normal for students to say they will complain, and any decent school will back you.
Wheresthecake
Rep:
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Right, I see.

I think in this situation, it's totally normal for students to say they will complain, and any decent school will back you.
Thank you for the help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.61%
Okay (72)
29.51%
A bit lacking (91)
37.3%
Not good at all (60)
24.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed