The Student Room Group

IB courses

I've selected HL bio chem and econs, but I really want to do geography at HL, can anyone help me in terms of what are the possible careers with my selected choices, and possible HL chem econs and geo? or otherwise, would you suggest i keep bio and do bio econs and geo at HL?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by basketball4lyfe
I've selected HL bio chem and econs, but I really want to do geography at HL, can anyone help me in terms of what are the possible careers with my selected choices, and possible HL chem econs and geo? or otherwise, would you suggest i keep bio and do bio econs and geo at HL?

Doing chem, econ and geography would leave you in a weird position where you couldn't do a STEM degree, and also limited options for economics. If you are interested in something like a chemistry degree or an economics degree, you need HL Maths for a lot of unis (e.g. for Econ at LSE, they only ask for a 7 in HL Maths). Biology courses would want 2 sciences/maths. If you wanted to do a geography degree then you would presumably have picked that as a certain subject? You could apply for a geography degree though with bio chem and geog.
SL geography does cover interesting content?
What are you thinking of applying for in the future?
I'm thinking about doing medicine or possibly economics, but I checked on LSE's website and they do accept SL maths AA on certain courses, I don't think I would be able to sustain HL maths, so I feel it's best I take SL. But I'm generally interested in pursuing economics and maybe moving forward into banking, or possibly taking medicine and moving into dermatology or sports medicine.
I'm thinking about doing medicine or possibly economics, but I checked on LSE's website and they do accept SL maths AA on certain courses, I don't think I would be able to sustain HL maths, so I feel it's best I take SL. But I'm generally interested in pursuing economics and maybe moving forward into banking, or possibly taking medicine and moving into dermatology or sports medicine.

Bear in mind that economics is quite a maths-y course, and if you would struggle with HL maths, you might find studying economics difficult? If you want to do medicine or anything science-related, you need to have 2 sciences, so bio and chem. It sounds to me as if the geography HL would only limit your degree options (as in what courses would accept you if you did chem econ geog, in the areas of economics/med)
yeah, I thought the same, I probably won't end up taking it, instead, I'll try to look for some economics courses at uni that don't require higher maths. Thanks so much for your help!

Not a good idea. Bio and chem are necessary for most medical sciences. Econ and geo could be good for social sciences but it’d be better to drop the biology because I’d be useless.
Original post by neutralmilkff
Not a good idea. Bio and chem are necessary for most medical sciences. Econ and geo could be good for social sciences but it’d be better to drop the biology because I’d be useless.

Hey! thanks so much for your help, I ended up choosing HL bio chem and econ because I don't think geo would have benefitted me in a STEM career or medicine in general.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending