The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Physics 2022 Undergraduate Applicants Thread

Um yeah so hi
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm a current student in physics so if you've got any questions, feel free to ask either here or on the 'Ask an Imperial Student' thread. I won't be able to impart any knowledge about the admissions process, because it was different when I applied.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Sinnoh
I'm a current student in physics so if you've got any questions, feel free to ask either here or on the 'Ask an Imperial Student' thread. I won't be able to impart any knowledge about the admissions process, because it was different when I applied.

Hi Bro! Did they look your GCSE at the point you applied.I am an international applicant so I am worrying without these will put me at disadvantage.
Reply 3
Original post by Benben IPHO IPHO
Hi Bro! Did they look your GCSE at the point you applied.I am an international applicant so I am worrying without these will put me at disadvantage.

I have no idea how much they took GCSEs into account, wasn't mentioned in my interview or after. My grades were very good but I doubt that they were spectacular compared to all the other applicants'.
Hey there!What are your overall thoughts on physics at imperial?How many contact hours do you have per week?Do lectures still take place online or are they back in person again?And as for accommodation, which one of the halls did you pick? And how is it overall? What would you say is the best accommodation to pick?Sorry for bombarding you with questions lolThanks!
Reply 5
Original post by samahadix
Hey there!What are your overall thoughts on physics at imperial?How many contact hours do you have per week?Do lectures still take place online or are they back in person again?And as for accommodation, which one of the halls did you pick? And how is it overall? What would you say is the best accommodation to pick?Sorry for bombarding you with questions lolThanks!

Contact hours - for the first two years, it's a 2-hour seminar each week, a 1-hour academic tutorial (in group of 5 or fewer) every two weeks, 4-6 hours of labs a week and 8-10 50-minute lectures a week. In the first term of first year you will also have a 4-hour computing class each week for the first 5 or 6 weeks. Plus some miscellaneous things like problem solving tutorials (1st year) and group projects.
In third year, if you're not doing theory, labs are 10 hours a week (!) but only for one term. Theoretical modules in 3rd and 4th year have 1-hour "rapid feedback" sessions each week where you submit your answer to a particular problem sheet question and they go over the solution. You also have a tutorial in a group of 5 or fewer once a week to prepare you for the Comprehensives exams.

Right now, some lectures are online, some are in-person. I haven't had any in-person lectures this year, but there are these weekly in-person recap sessions; one per module per week.

Accommodation - I was in Woodward. it wasn't any of my choices, but I'm glad I got it in the end. Because it's such a big hall, you're bound to know a few people from your course there. Commuting was a mild annoyance, but doing it with your friends from your course makes it alright. Plus there's a nice walk across Kensington Gardens to get to campus, great way to start the day. Woodward also had the nicest kitchens, rooms and facilities, and it's the cheapest. The main drawback of course is that it's so far from campus. Also if you have to get in for a 9 a.m. start, the Central line will be rammed.

Overall thoughts on the course - it's ok. I think people made it out to be worse than it was, but then again they did reform the course to make it easier for us. My biggest gripe is how long it takes to get feedback. It is a lot of work if you choose to do all of it. You can do the bare minimum and get a 2:2 or pass, but you probably should do more. I wish we had more small-group teaching.

Quick Reply

Latest