Scroll to see replies

Original post by lalalandoo
like a long,lowkey prom dress,classy black dress

Why?
Reply 2
Original post by 5hyl33n
Why?

i have nothing to wearr and some outfits are wasting
You can turn up in a cow onesie for all the lecturer cares. Uni isn’t school, there’s no dress code.
If it's more like a prom dress, you could get attention for the wrong reasons.
Original post by rosy_posy
If it's more like a prom dress, you could get attention for the wrong reasons.

How? Prom dresses will only ever get you compliments, unless it's hideous. They are often floor length and not as revealing. The worst comment you might get is someone thinking you're a try-hard but that's easy to ignore.
(edited 2 years ago)
You CAN, of course you can.

You'll probably get a few raised eyebrows from people though, but if you don't mind that, then wear whatever you like.
Original post by Roses.Are.Red
How? Prom dresses will only ever get you compliments, unless it's hideous. They are often floor length and not as revealing. The worst comment you might get is someone thinking you're a try-hard but that's easy to ignore.

That's what I meant. Even if someone doesn't say it, they may think it. Wearing a prom dress to a lecture is extravagant and not necessary imo.
That's what I meant. Even if someone doesn't say it, they may think it. Wearing a prom dress to a lecture is extravagant and not necessary imo.

As cliché as it is, if you think that much about what someone else may be thinking, you need to stop caring about what others think.
I completely understand if you care about what others say, but you genuinely never ever know what someone is thinking. So why care about it?
You can wear whatever you want. It’s a little OTT for a lecture but it’s your call to make, not your classmates.
As cliché as it is, if you think that much about what someone else may be thinking, you need to stop caring about what others think.
I completely understand if you care about what others say, but you genuinely never ever know what someone is thinking. So why care about it?

Of course noone can have a direct influence on what others think of them, but it helps to make a decent impression. Wearing a prom dress to lecture doesn't give the right impression to others. It sends the message that the wearer doesn't care about their studies, and that they are only 'dressed to impress'. If that is the impression someone wants to make then I'd say go ahead, they know how it could make them look to others.
Sure, what the hell. If it’s allowed, why not? :dontknow:
No need to gain validation from the internet, just go and wear it if that’s what you want to do.
Of course noone can have a direct influence on what others think of them, but it helps to make a decent impression. Wearing a prom dress to lecture doesn't give the right impression to others. It sends the message that the wearer doesn't care about their studies, and that they are only 'dressed to impress'. If that is the impression someone wants to make then I'd say go ahead, they know how it could make them look to others.

Why would one wear a formal outfit that clearly took some time to put on if they did not care?

Spoiler

If you are smart enough to go to uni, I'm sure you'll be smart enough to to know that whether you wear a hoodie and joggers or a prom dress, none of that says anything about how dedicated you are to your studies, especially if it's a one time thing(as OP mentioned, she's doing it out of necessity)

I'm also assuming this isn't her first impression so I'm sure her peers would know that this is out of the norm for her. And even if it was, she did mention it was 'lowkey' a prom dress but also says that it was 'classy' and black so it isn't as ridiculous as may appear to be.
Why would one wear a formal outfit that clearly took some time to put on if they did not care?

Spoiler

If you are smart enough to go to uni, I'm sure you'll be smart enough to to know that whether you wear a hoodie and joggers or a prom dress, none of that says anything about how dedicated you are to your studies, especially if it's a one time thing(as OP mentioned, she's doing it out of necessity)

I'm also assuming this isn't her first impression so I'm sure her peers would know that this is out of the norm for her. And even if it was, she did mention it was 'lowkey' a prom dress but also says that it was 'classy' and black so it isn't as ridiculous as may appear to be.

It doesn't fit the context of the situation. A formal outfit (prom dress in this case) is much more appropriate for a special occasion, such as a prom. If outfit choice is so arbitrary to you, would it be appropriate to wear pyjamas to a wedding?
Elle Woods is a fictional character so I don't see how that's relevant.
Clothing choices may not be reflective of how dedicated someone is to their studies, but it's about the impression it gives to others. Doing it out of necessity isn't a good reason to dress like that, as I'm sure it doesn't hurt to rewear old outfits.
Doesn't make any difference as it still forms an impression, even if it is a renewed impression. If it was a casual black dress then obviously it wouldn't matter, but the fact she said it was like a prom dress shows that it is a tad elaborate for the occasion...which is a lecture hall.
Do what you want. People are going to judge you no matter what you do, so you might as well do what you want.
(edited 2 years ago)
A simple maxi dress (probably with a jacket or similar) would be fine.

As above in principle there is nothing stopping you wearing a prom dress but it would be very unusual and you would probably get a lot of raised eyebrows. People might assume you came from/are going to a fancy dress party afterwards.

Also consider the practicalities of sitting in a lecture theatre in a prom dress; will it get damaged/badly creased by doing so? How full is the dress - if it "spills over" to other people sitting next to you it's pretty inconsiderate. Also what material is it made of, and how much noise does that make? Some cheaper poly-blend materials can be quite noisy, especially if they are fairly voluminous. This is not something you want to be causing in a lecture.
It doesn't fit the context of the situation. A formal outfit (prom dress in this case) is much more appropriate for a special occasion, such as a prom. If outfit choice is so arbitrary to you, would it be appropriate to wear pyjamas to a wedding?
Elle Woods is a fictional character so I don't see how that's relevant.

Of course not.
I never stated that the ideal outfit to a lecture was prom dress. Ideally, you would wear something different, that you feel comfortable in and is presentable(not many people find formal dresses comfortable).
It would not be appropriate to wear pyjamas to a wedding. I'm not exactly sure why you would assume I would think that.
Elle Woods may be fictional, but I know one or two people that dress similar to the way she does in the same context. Her character is actually not that different to real people in the world.

Clothing choices may not be reflective of how dedicated someone is to their studies, but it's about the impression it gives to others. Doing it out of necessity isn't a good reason to dress like that, as I'm sure it doesn't hurt to rewear old outfits.

But she can't. I'm assuming that 'my outfits are wasting' means that she needs to do the laundry or something and she is just unable to wear the other clothes she has. Although, in your defence I would think that most people have a few odd clothes like a top and some random jeans that they could use for situation like these so if anything, this is just bad organisation on her part.

Doesn't make any difference as it still forms an impression, even if it is a renewed impression. If it was a casual black dress then obviously it wouldn't matter, but the fact she said it was like a prom dress shows that it is a tad elaborate for the occasion...which is a lecture hall.

I'm sure you've embarrassed yourself in front of your friends before(if you haven't, then good for you because I certainly have😂) which wasn't the best impression that you've ever put forward. You can't always give the best impression, but it's always good to try.

Anyways, this is the first time I've had this big of a debate over someone else's clothes. Thanks for making my mundane day slightly less boring:smile:
Original post by lalalandoo
like a long,lowkey prom dress,classy black dress

Ask your lecturer or your classmates.
Of course not.
I never stated that the ideal outfit to a lecture was prom dress. Ideally, you would wear something different, that you feel comfortable in and is presentable(not many people find formal dresses comfortable).
It would not be appropriate to wear pyjamas to a wedding. I'm not exactly sure why you would assume I would think that.
Elle Woods may be fictional, but I know one or two people that dress similar to the way she does in the same context. Her character is actually not that different to real people in the world.

But she can't. I'm assuming that 'my outfits are wasting' means that she needs to do the laundry or something and she is just unable to wear the other clothes she has. Although, in your defence I would think that most people have a few odd clothes like a top and some random jeans that they could use for situation like these so if anything, this is just bad organisation on her part.

I'm sure you've embarrassed yourself in front of your friends before(if you haven't, then good for you because I certainly have😂) which wasn't the best impression that you've ever put forward. You can't always give the best impression, but it's always good to try.

Anyways, this is the first time I've had this big of a debate over someone else's clothes. Thanks for making my mundane day slightly less boring:smile:

Haha no I didn't think you would be okay with wearing pyjamas to a wedding 🤣 but was challenging your perspective to see what you thought about it.
Yes, you want to avoid clothing disasters where possible 🥴
Thankfully I haven't made any embarassing clothes choices 😅
Lol it's been quite entertaining, thanks for not getting heated about it 😂
Haha no I didn't think you would be okay with wearing pyjamas to a wedding 🤣 but was challenging your perspective to see what you thought about it.
Yes, you want to avoid clothing disasters where possible 🥴
Thankfully I haven't made any embarassing clothes choices 😅
Lol it's been quite entertaining, thanks for not getting heated about it 😂

Glad we both share the same perspective on this:biggrin:
I find that getting heated about internet debates just end in both parties getting nowhere, staying adamant to their own opinions and become less open minded in the whole process(the opposite of what you want to get out of a debate-at least for me)
I vividly remember one time when I forgot it was 'blue day' for some random occasion way back in primary. Looking back, the most embarrassing thing was the fact I cried about it😂

Latest

Trending

Trending