PrithiSubatira
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am taking Biology as one of my subjects for the Cambridge International Examination A-Level.

Planning on getting an insightful, detailed resource book to read and make my biology notes on.
I was thinking of getting either the Hodders book second edition or the Cambridge coursebook fifth edition. Which one of these would you recommend ?

It would be really great if you could advise on any websites that I can refer to for CIE A-Level biology notes or any recent seniors finished with A-Levels who are planning on selling their notes. Could use them as extra guidance.

Also, any tips on how to make my notes and extra advices when it comes to studying and revising for biology ?

Genuinely appreciate your help. Thank you so much !! 😊
Gidray
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

I did some research on the books and I found Cambridge coursebook fourth edition which looks good. The coursebook is good for revising content, but if you actually want some practice with exam questions then there is also Cambridge biology workbook which is suited to practice with exam questions. As with every A-Level you want a coursebook and a workbook ideally. If you can't get a workbook then you must do past papers as a substitute. You have to do past papers anyway but you know what I mean.

I've heard that there's a lot of factual information that you need to remember in biology, so I find that if you do lots of practice questions then that information will be ingrained into your brain much easier, which is why doing past papers and finding workbooks is important. As a result, I never had to make any notes for any of my A-Level subjects. You just remember the content by testing yourself, but there are lots of things that will work for you.

I'm a uni student and may be able to help you with other A-level subjects. I did quite well in all of them, so If there is anything I can do for you and if you would like any further help, don't hesitate to reach out to me, I will see what I can do for you. .
PrithiSubatira
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Gidray)
Hi,

I did some research on the books and I found Cambridge coursebook fourth edition which looks good. The coursebook is good for revising content, but if you actually want some practice with exam questions then there is also Cambridge biology workbook which is suited to practice with exam questions. As with every A-Level you want a coursebook and a workbook ideally. If you can't get a workbook then you must do past papers as a substitute. You have to do past papers anyway but you know what I mean.

I've heard that there's a lot of factual information that you need to remember in biology, so I find that if you do lots of practice questions then that information will be ingrained into your brain much easier, which is why doing past papers and finding workbooks is important. As a result, I never had to make any notes for any of my A-Level subjects. You just remember the content by testing yourself, but there are lots of things that will work for you.

I'm a uni student and may be able to help you with other A-level subjects. I did quite well in all of them, so If there is anything I can do for you and if you would like any further help, don't hesitate to reach out to me, I will see what I can do for you. .
Thank you so much for the help and guide !!
Genuinely appreciate it
Will definately do past years and practice more questions

May i ask, why do you suggest to get the Cambridge coursebook instead of the Hodders endorsed Cambridge International Examination biology textbook ?
Gidray
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by PrithiSubatira)
Thank you so much for the help and guide !!
Genuinely appreciate it
Will definately do past years and practice more questions

May i ask, why do you suggest to get the Cambridge coursebook instead of the Hodders endorsed Cambridge International Examination biology textbook ?
Cambridge coursebook fifth edition is incredibly detailed with 656 pages from what I have seen and the hodders textbook is 544 pages, but I think that ultimately there's no difference and both would be great. In fact, you can consider getting both and then comparing the content from both textbooks, because sometimes one textbook can explain things in a different way compared to another. You can get both if you'd like but I think there's no big difference.

However, as mentioned previously, if you are going to consider getting one of these textbooks, it is advisable that you also get a workbook that goes along with it as it's a good way to test your understanding on the things you've learned from the textbook. Most of these textbooks will have a workbook that is designed to test your understanding on the content and help you practice with exam style questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (1)
5.88%
Okay (5)
29.41%
A bit lacking (5)
29.41%
Not good at all (6)
35.29%

Watched Threads