The Student Room Group

Would you recommend A-level PE or BTEC (1 alevel equivalent)

I am undecided whether to choose a-level PE or BTEC sport. I understand the BTEC is more coursework based however do universities actually value a BTEC. I was planning to study A-levels in biology and geography alongside this subject. Any help on deciding between the two would me much appreciated. From a y11 achieving 7,8,9s. And have also already completed qualifications in CAMNAT sports science and BTEC sports studies and achieved level 2 distinction * in both. I also play football so the sport participation aspect is not a problem.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I do bio psych and BTEC sports and I say do a level PE. I personally feel like I really limited myself by picking sport and I want to apply to sport science but some unis don't even acknowledge my BTEC and they ask me for specific a levels instead.
A levels have more academic credibility overall but most 'top' Unis will usually accept a single BTEC alongside 2 A levels.

For Sports courses, science matters. For Bath (top Ini for sport/training base for Team GB) - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2022/sport-exercise-and-health/ you will need an A level in one of Biology, Chemistry, Further Mathematics, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology or Statistics, and they will only accept a BTEC in 'Sports Science' not 'Sport'.
Original post by McGinger
A levels have more academic credibility overall but most 'top' Unis will usually accept a single BTEC alongside 2 A levels.

For Sports courses, science matters. For Bath (top Ini for sport/training base for Team GB) - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2022/sport-exercise-and-health/ you will need an A level in one of Biology, Chemistry, Further Mathematics, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology or Statistics, and they will only accept a BTEC in 'Sports Science' not 'Sport'.

So realistically if I did want to take a university sports course I do not even require PE or a sports science and taking biology will be just fine. I was thinking of swapping PE for maths as this was my original option

Quick Reply