Aash0902
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I am in my third year of medicine and I was thinking of doing an intercalated masters after my 4th year but I am not sure what I should do it in, and what would benefit me the most? I am interested in surgery after med school, and was looking at courses at unis but surgical masters expect you to have finished your med degree so would it be better for me to finish my degree and then apply for masters in surgery or should I do a bachelors in anatomy during my intercalated year? Or should I do a masters in research and keep it linked to surgery and get a publication that way? Or should I completely scrap that and do something else that might benefit my application for surgery and if so what? What should I do during med school that would make my application stand out when applying for speciality training apart from audits? Thank you!
Last edited by Aash0902; 7 months ago
nocheloche
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Aash0902)
I am in my third year of medicine and I was thinking of doing an intercalated masters after my 4th year but I am not sure what I should do it in, and what would benefit me the most? I am interested in surgery after med school, and was looking at courses at unis but surgical masters expect you to have finished your med degree so would it be better for me to finish my degree and then apply for masters in surgery or should I do a bachelors in anatomy during my intercalated year? Or should I do a masters in research and keep it linked to surgery and get a publication that way? Or should I completely scrap that and do something else that might benefit my application for surgery and if so what? What should I do during med school that would make my application stand out when applying for speciality training apart from audits? Thank you!
Is there a reason why you want to do an intercalated masters rather than a bachelors?

If you do a research degree, it’s possible that the dissertation/research project you do will be nothing to do with surgery. I imagine projects for an anatomy BSc probably would be relevant though? That’s something to look into.

Something else to bear in mind: the NHS bursary will (currently) pay for intercalated degrees, but if you decide to do eg a masters after graduating, you may have to fund it yourself.

I don’t know if you’ve explored this forum much, but there have been plenty of threads in the past of people asking how they can buff up their application for surgical training. This is one place to start:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...%20application
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (7)
29.17%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (10)
41.67%
First aid skills (2)
8.33%
Personal safety skills (0)
0%
Sign language (4)
16.67%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.17%

Watched Threads