The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

University of Reading - Clever Cuisine

Hello,
Does anyone have any reviews or comments of 'Clever Cuisine' on University of Reading's campus? Is it worth it? Is the food nice? etc. or better just to self cater?
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hello,
Does anyone have any reviews or comments of 'Clever Cuisine' on University of Reading's campus? Is it worth it? Is the food nice? etc. or better just to self cater?
Thanks!

Hey!

Great question.
Whilst I was self-catered when living on campus, the Clever Cuisine scheme has been very beneficial to others I know who have used it. You are able to eat in 13 different places around campus, meaning you will always find foods you like but you don't have to deal with the cooking, washing up or shopping!
Those I know have usually got money left over by the end of the week on their card too, meaning there is definitely enough to get the food you want all week which is great and they've always loved the variety of food options available - there's so much choice, suitable for all diets!

However, I think it totally depends on you. I was self-catered and also loved that a lot as it gave me freedom to buy foods I wanted at the time and adapt meals to suit my taste. It also prepared me well for 2nd year when I moved off campus!

So, I think both options are great and it's really just down to personal preference... but I would say it is worth it if that is something you think would be helpful for you!

Hope this helps.

Skye :smile:
2nd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student & Student Ambassador
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,
Thanks!

I was catered for around a month in my first year and let me tell you… the food is absolutely AWFUL! Especially if you’re vegetarian, your options most nights are pizza, pasta or salad.
If you know you’re going to be lazy get get takeaways or not have a full 3 meals a day then I’d say get it but be prepared for the low quality
Reply 4
Hi does anyone know if there is any reason Reading have cut back the 13 eateries we signed up for down to 5? The kids are saying there is not enough variety and it’s not what we signed up for? Thank you
Reply 5
Original post by susanapaa
Hi does anyone know if there is any reason Reading have cut back the 13 eateries we signed up for down to 5? The kids are saying there is not enough variety and it’s not what we signed up for? Thank you

Agreed - my daughter was forced onto the platinum plan as part of her accomodation offer. The choices are really poor.
Reply 6
Original post by KWHIT767
Agreed - my daughter was forced onto the platinum plan as part of her accomodation offer. The choices are really poor.

It’s quite annoying as when we chose the accommodation, we only opted for this accommodation because I thought my child would have a varied diet as there were 13 different eateries to choose from and unlimited hot drinks. Once we accepted the accommodation we have now found out he can only choose between five eateries and hot drinks are only supplied with the meals. Himself and his friends have been living off Pizza for the last four days! Apparently all of the children are not happy with the variety of food on offer with the platinum option. That’s hardly nutritious, not sure what to do about it now. Had I known there was such limited choices. I would have opted for accommodation without food As I am sure he could have cooked pizza himself. Very frustrating and quite misleading.
It’s quite annoying as when we chose the accommodation, we only opted for this accommodation because I thought my child would have a varied diet as there were 13 different eateries to choose from and unlimited hot drinks. Once we accepted the accommodation we have now found out he can only choose between five eateries and hot drinks are only supplied with the meals. Himself and his friends have been living off Pizza for the last four days! Apparently all of the children are not happy with the variety of food on offer with the platinum option. That’s hardly nutritious, not sure what to do about it now. Had I known there was such limited choices. I would have opted for accommodation without food As I am sure he could have cooked pizza himself. Very frustrating and quite misleading.

Hi @susanapaa & @KWHIT767,

I'm so so sorry to hear about your situations with the meals - that's really not helpful if it's not what you thought you were signing up for.

Unfortunately, I don't know too much about the plans or how they decide food choices, but I would recommend getting in touch with the team personally about your concerns. You can email them at [email protected]. Hopefully they will be able to help you with your concerns and offer some solutions, but I am so sorry you've not found the experience to be what you hoped for your children so far and I really hope they are able to improve things for you.

Sorry I can't be too much help with this situation, but definitely try contacting them directly, and come back to us if that doesn't work and I can try to point you to someone else who may be able to help. I hope they are settling in well other than this though and enjoy their time at Reading. If you have any questions about anything else, please do ask and I can try my best to answer, or point you in the direction of someone who can!

4th Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
Reply 8
Thank you. We expected some adjustments to the menu after we agreed to accept the accommodation but they have more than halved the amount of eateries. Such drastic changes should have been left for the following year so everyone is fully aware what they are signing up for before they decide. These changes have been implemented after we filled in our accommodation choice. Hopefully more parents will complain and they will do something about this as a year of eating from a limited menu is not worth the money paid. I would never have chosen this option had we known beforehand.

Original post by UniofReading
Hi @susanapaa & @KWHIT767,

I'm so so sorry to hear about your situations with the meals - that's really not helpful if it's not what you thought you were signing up for.

Unfortunately, I don't know too much about the plans or how they decide food choices, but I would recommend getting in touch with the team personally about your concerns. You can email them at [email protected]. Hopefully they will be able to help you with your concerns and offer some solutions, but I am so sorry you've not found the experience to be what you hoped for your children so far and I really hope they are able to improve things for you.

Sorry I can't be too much help with this situation, but definitely try contacting them directly, and come back to us if that doesn't work and I can try to point you to someone else who may be able to help. I hope they are settling in well other than this though and enjoy their time at Reading. If you have any questions about anything else, please do ask and I can try my best to answer, or point you in the direction of someone who can!

4th Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
Thank you. We expected some adjustments to the menu after we agreed to accept the accommodation but they have more than halved the amount of eateries. Such drastic changes should have been left for the following year so everyone is fully aware what they are signing up for before they decide. These changes have been implemented after we filled in our accommodation choice. Hopefully more parents will complain and they will do something about this as a year of eating from a limited menu is not worth the money paid. I would never have chosen this option had we known beforehand.

I completely agree that this information should have been more readily available beforehand and can only apologise again for the unsatisfactory choices available - I hope this is something the Clever Cuisines teams have been able to address with you adequately! Apologies we can't give you more specific advice or explanation, this is a little outside our realm of expertise and I don't have a catering plan myself unfortunately.
Please do let us know if there's anything else we can do.
Kat :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student
Reply 10
I have sent the below to clever cuisine. Will let you know what reply I get!

Good morning, my daughter started at Reading University last Saturday and has the platinum food plan. The choices so far this week have been extremely poor and not at all nutritionally balanced. There appears to only be a cooked breakfast available and my daughter is spending money on breakfast cereal or toast that we were led to believe would be available.
The dinner options have also been extremely limited. My daughter also has a nut allergy and has been unable to access some of the foods due to poor cross contamination practices. As an example, you had cakes available but put them all together with tongs that were used for all cakes when one of them had nuts on it.

I was under the impression there would be many more eateries and choices available when we agreed to the plan. It is certainly not worth the money we are paying for it. There are a growing number of irate parents and frustrated, hungry students.

I have attached a picture of the meal my daughter was subjected to last night.

I would appreciate a response as a matter of urgency.
Reply 11
I am going to email also to complain as it would be cheaper for them to do a weekly shop and make food themselves. The only problem is the limited cooking facilities in their accommodation.
This major change should have taken place next year, not for this years students who entered into the contract believing there were 13 eateries not 5! 😡 I believe a bulk complaint may be in order.
Reply 12
Yes, please also write to them. Hopefully, if nothing else, they should reduce the price of the plan as it's just not value for money and our kids need every penny they can get. I feel like we have been taken for a ride :mad:
Reply 13
I’m wondering whether we should contact the student union and get them involved? I also have sent in a complaint, let’s see if they get something done. I’m not having my child eating like that for the whole year! and it’s not cheap!
Reply 14
It’s also a very awkward situation for the Students as they are new to the university and don’t want to be seen as complaining and I think clever cuisine are taking advantage of this

Yes, please also write to them. Hopefully, if nothing else, they should reduce the price of the plan as it's just not value for money and our kids need every penny they can get. I feel like we have been taken for a ride :mad:
Reply 15
I have already advised my daughter to speak to a SU rep. Maybe a few of them can get together. Hopefully Clever Cuisine will do somethng about it!
Reply 16
I will do the same. There is an official complaint online form with the union which I will fill in if I receive no response from clever cuisine. Hopefully more parents will complain also as my son said all the students are not happy with the food.
Reply 17
I have sent the below to clever cuisine. Will let you know what reply I get!

Good morning, my daughter started at Reading University last Saturday and has the platinum food plan. The choices so far this week have been extremely poor and not at all nutritionally balanced. There appears to only be a cooked breakfast available and my daughter is spending money on breakfast cereal or toast that we were led to believe would be available.
The dinner options have also been extremely limited. My daughter also has a nut allergy and has been unable to access some of the foods due to poor cross contamination practices. As an example, you had cakes available but put them all together with tongs that were used for all cakes when one of them had nuts on it.

I was under the impression there would be many more eateries and choices available when we agreed to the plan. It is certainly not worth the money we are paying for it. There are a growing number of irate parents and frustrated, hungry students.

I have attached a picture of the meal my daughter was subjected to last night.

I would appreciate a response as a matter of urgency.

My son has also commented on the poor choice and low nutritional value of the limited meals available. Have you had a response yet?
Reply 18
I haven't had any response yet. I will give it another 24hrs before resorting to the online complaint form. I'm so disappointed for the kids and I cannot see how they are justifying the cost if nothing changes.
Reply 19
I haven't had any response yet. I will give it another 24hrs before resorting to the online complaint form. I'm so disappointed for the kids and I cannot see how they are justifying the cost if nothing changes.

I have just sent a very blunt email to them. Hopefully the more complaints they receive, the more likely they are to rectify the problem.

Quick Reply

Latest