KatieMcF
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and not knowing what to pick for A levels.
I currently do: - English Lang and lit
- maths
- triple science
- French
- geography
- art

I know that I definitely want to do A level Geography, but i'm not sure what other subjects would go well with it.

Im considering : English language A level and art A level . but im not sure if im good enough to do science as im predicted 6's at GCSE but I got two 6's and a 7 in my latest mocks and an in 8 Biology this mocks ( haven't had the other 2 back yet)

if anyone is doing these A level options I would love any advice !!
skylark2
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
What is it you like about geography, and do you have any plans for what you may do after A levels - even very vague ones? If you're thinking you like the look of working in (whatever), then do a bit of backtracking - see what degrees people have who go into those careers, and then see what A levels you'd need to study those degrees. That might not have any positive results, which is fine - then you know it doesn't really matter and you can choose whatever you prefer / are best at without worrying that you'll suddenly discover at the start of year 13 that you can't apply for the course you'd hoped to do.
KatieMcF
Rep:
(Original post by skylark2)
What is it you like about geography, and do you have any plans for what you may do after A levels - even very vague ones? If you're thinking you like the look of working in (whatever), then do a bit of backtracking - see what degrees people have who go into those careers, and then see what A levels you'd need to study those degrees. That might not have any positive results, which is fine - then you know it doesn't really matter and you can choose whatever you prefer / are best at without worrying that you'll suddenly discover at the start of year 13 that you can't apply for the course you'd hoped to do.
thank you!! I was thinking about doing something to do with the environment as geography is one of my favourite subjects, I also love the human side of it urbanisation etc. but I also have a passion for art so im not sure which road to go down ? I feel as if a more geographical route is the safer option ?
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by KatieMcF)
- maths
- triple science
- French
- geography
- art

I know that I definitely want to do A level Geography, but i'm not sure what other subjects would go well with it.

Im considering : English language A level and art A level . but im not sure if im good enough to do science as im predicted 6's at GCSE but I got two 6's and a 7 in my latest mocks and an in 8 Biology this mocks ( haven't had the other 2 back yet)

What are you planning on doing after your a levels?
KatieMcF
Rep:
(Original post by Emma:-))
What are you planning on doing after your a levels?
hopefully university !! Id love to have a degree so I could go onto getting a good job, its just that im not sure what route to go down ?
z4ra.x
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
- maths
- triple science
- French
- geography
- art

HELLO,

I am also in Year 11 and I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths for A-Levels. I am planning on doing Medicine in University which is why I've chosen these A-Levels. I suggest looking at careers which look pleasing to you, then look at the requirements. Don't choose random A-Levels. Choose something that will benefit you in terms of a career. Although you may like Geography, will you want to be a Geologist or Climatologist in the future? If not, then don't go Geography as it'll be pointless for you in the future.

Hope this helps!
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
hopefully university !! Id love to have a degree so I could go onto getting a good job, its just that im not sure what route to go down ?
I meant what sort of degree?
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by z4ra.x)
HELLO,

I am also in Year 11 and I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths for A-Levels. I am planning on doing Medicine in University which is why I've chosen these A-Levels. I suggest looking at careers which look pleasing to you, then look at the requirements. Don't choose random A-Levels. Choose something that will benefit you in terms of a career. Although you may like Geography, will you want to be a Geologist or Climatologist in the future? If not, then don't go Geography as it'll be pointless for you in the future.

Hope this helps!
Not necessarily - for example Law only really suggests or in some cases requires, one essay subject you can do literally any A-Levels and as long as you get high grades, you're likely to get in really granted everything else is okay

Geography isn't just useful for careers such as Geology and Climatology - it has some transferable skills that can be used for other degrees
KatieMcF
Rep:
(Original post by Emma:-))
I meant what sort of degree?
oh right, im not entirely sure! maybe geography ?
z4ra.x
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AmIReallyHere)
Not necessarily - for example Law only really suggests or in some cases requires, one essay subject you can do literally any A-Levels and as long as you get high grades, you're likely to get in really granted everything else is okay

Geography isn't just useful for careers such as Geology and Climatology - it has some transferable skills that can be used for other degrees
Fair enough - but I'd suggest looking at careers you're interested in as you won't want to regret not doing a certain A-Level in the future. Good luck with your options though!
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
oh right, im not entirely sure! maybe geography ?
Check any courses you are thinking of doing on unis websites to see if they specify any particular subjects.
thegeek888
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Maths, Geography and Economics is good enough for a Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL, Bristol and Manchester to study a degree in Geography or Economics or even Maths degree (although Further Maths will help you).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (2)
9.52%
Okay (6)
28.57%
A bit lacking (6)
28.57%
Not good at all (7)
33.33%

Watched Threads