The Student Room Group

Maths - Debate

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mystudentlife
Why not just use your extra time for something fun, I would kill to go back to when I had so much spare time lol

Exactly - do some volunteering, learn a new sport or a musical instrument.
Original post by Muttley79

True, like gotta make some memories with friends and stuff gotta keep it balanced
Original post by thatnerdygirl
how is it harmful other than that 'research'

Lmao because it isn’t. A bit silly imo to make such claims but I get what she’s trying to say - as In doing A level content and not enrichment is harmful and has backed this up with an outdated research that was published in 2013.

IMO, I say that if a student is finding A level content alright and if they are managing it okay, research can be neglected at this point. Obviously it makes no sense to be doing A level content if you’re not even mastering GCSE but there is definitely no problem in accelerating if you’re interested enough. I would encourage better alternatives like what she did post though like the UKMT and stuff but either will do.

I do play an instrument, I do multiple sports on a weekly basis and I enjoy doing maths on top of those.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Lmao

The advice form UKMT is current and their mentoring scheme is what the school should be recommending NOT acceleration
I DO play an instrument, I do MULTIPLE sports on a WEEKLY basis and I ENJOY doing MATHS

Yes so widen your knowledge - plenty of time for A level - it's much more fun working with others on A level - that's what unis want. Most maths research is done in groups ...

Are you practising for the IMC? https://www.ukmt.org.uk/imc

Do well and you might be invited to a National Maths Summer school ...
Yes so widen your knowledge - plenty of time for A level - it's much more fun working with others on A level - that's what unis want. Most maths research is done in groups ...

Are you practising for the IMC? https://www.ukmt.org.uk/imc

Do well and you might be invited to a National Maths Summer school ...

not practicing for anything, didn't know that even existed tbh... i don't really know anyone to work with either...
yeah sure, if extension work at your current level doesn't excite you, you might be better off going up a plateau. You can do far more enrichment with A-level maths than GCSE. (if you don't like the "tough questions on elementary maths" kind of olympiad thing, there's not really much there) Just dont let your other subjects suffer.
(edited 2 years ago)
not practicing for anything, didn't know that even existed tbh... i don't really know anyone to work with either...

You didn't know about UKMT competitions? Talk to your teacher tomorrow - I find this utterly baffling they haven't mentioned these competitions or suggested the mentoring scheme to you if you are exceptionally able.
https://www.ukmt.org.uk/enrichment/mentoring-scheme
https://www.ukmt.org.uk/enrichment/summer-schools
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
yeah sure, if extension work at your current level doesn't excite you, you might be better off going up a plateau. You can do far more enrichment with A-level maths than GCSE. (if you don't like the "tough questions on elementary maths" kind of olympiad thing, there's not really much there) Just dont let your other subjects suffer.

There's no evidence the OP has been offered any enrichment though ... UKMT, for example, seems unfamiliar to them
The advice form UKMT is current and their mentoring scheme is what the school should be recommending NOT acceleration

No.

”The development of mathematical talent is a long-term process that is dependent on many variables, including quality teaching and a student’s attitude to the subject. Mastery of core skills and knowledge is necessary for good mathematical progression and should not be undervalued, but developed in conjunction with the range of valued mathematical behaviours in a progressively deep and rigorous way”

”That is, if students are ultimately to go even further in mathematics, they need to achieve a deeper, more rigorous mastery of core material before moving on.”

The articles you gave me, after having studied it, they are ranging from 2008-2013 in study.

Both acceleration and enrichment could be used. It’s just that enrichment is preferred. As presented above from your own studies, it exclusively states that a student needs a core mastery of maths before moving on. Who’s to say OP doesn’t already have a core grasp of the material?
(edited 2 years ago)
N

UKMT guidance stands - guidance like this does not go out of date ...

You cannot achieve mastery without exploring enrichment first.
UKMT guidance stands - guidance like this does not go out of date ...

You cannot achieve mastery without exploring enrichment first.

Well the studies you provided states otherwise.

Also enrichment tasks are precisely allowing students to use books, explore websites, etc. I feel like OP doing A level maths early is a different type of enrichment that isn’t conventional. As in, they might take A level topics as a way to meaningfully explore the subject in depth and as a result it will allow them to become a master. It all is still precisely the same thing: for example, there is overlap in understanding between GCSE and A level.

We all learn in different ways, and since it seems like the AS level course is fulfilling their curiosity - it can count as enrichment. Do you disagree? Yes they might be better alternatives but doing AS level maths really wouldn’t be detrimental to their future as you have claimed (your own research says this, so it is kind of misleading on your part).
Opinion on a year 9 studying a level work in free time on top of curricular year 9 topics in school?

My friend learnt the whole of GCSE before year 10 in his free time. I would probably do this first then learn a level as it would definitely help and would probably be easier. Alternatives would be working on your problem solving skills by doing UKMT past papers and stuff like that - this would help you universally.
Original post by ahow39409234-095
Maybe, but tbh the step up from GCSE to A-level maths is quite small

this is a laughable comment
Well

Have you read the defibition of mastery? It is not acceleration and mastery must be achieved ...
Have you read the defibition of mastery? It is not acceleration and mastery must be achieved ...

Im using the definition of “enrichment” in my OP, and I have stated that something being inclusive to being “enrichment” very much depends on the student and their level of curiosity when it comes to the subject.
Original post by dvwefweddasf
this is a laughable comment

How so? The type of thinking is not that different - learning computations and equations to apply to pretty predictable and repetitive questions. There just happens to be more equations and a few more set methods than GCSE. It's hardly a whole shift in thinking about maths you may experience at University, where there is a far greater focus on proof and being rigorous, and far more abstract and unintuitive concepts.
Original post by artful_lounger
Also for what it's worth students who do subjects early never seem to do much later...not sure if they end up "peaking" too soon and burn out or something but I've never seen the people who do e.g. A-level Maths during GCSE years go on to Oxbridge/Imperial/Warwick etc, they usually end up at some reasonable but not especially notable uni...although this is anecdotal evidence based on like two people I knew and one person I met after the fact.

I have to doubt your anecdotal evidence is representative.

I've seen people take A-level maths early from various sides. Personally, I took A-level maths in year 10 and went to Cambridge a year early. I've known various "younger than usual" people at Cambridge and they've all performed very well.

There's some selection bias there, but on TSR I've been heavily involved in the STEP discussions for 15 years; I've seen many people there who were taking A-level maths early, and I'd say they've typically done better than the average STEP applicant (at the same time, I think there's near unanimous agreement on "Don't take an A-level (or STEP) early unless you're confident you're going to do very well", so this is perhaps not totally surprising. But even so, I'd say the precocious students have tended to overperform).

I've also seen people start the A-level early because their school or parents wanted them to when they weren't that interested; perhaps unsurprisingly, that has almost universally gone badly.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest