lolap09
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I was thinking of taking 4 A-Levels - Chemistry, Biology, English Combined and French. I’ve seen a lot of people saying that 4 A-Levels can be too much and you’ll neglect one subject at least, but I’ve always had easy 9s in English so I thought it might be fine for college. Are these subjects too much to do all together at A-Level?
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
There are no universities in the UK that asks for 4 A levels. People who normally do this are deluded in thinking that having 4 A levels would automatically make them a competitive applicant, it really wouldn’t unless you’re wanting to apply to Cambridge or oxford.

Just keep it realistic, and don’t forget that the difference between gcse and a levels is huge, so just because you’re excelling at a subject at gcse doesn’t mean it’ll be a breeze at A level.

If you’re doing 4 to keep your options open, do so but as soon as it gets unbearable then just drop it if you can. There’s a reason why universities ask for only 3.
Last edited by CaptainDuckie; 1 week ago
emily5411
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lolap09)
I was thinking of taking 4 A-Levels - Chemistry, Biology, English Combined and French. I’ve seen a lot of people saying that 4 A-Levels can be too much and you’ll neglect one subject at least, but I’ve always had easy 9s in English so I thought it might be fine for college. Are these subjects too much to do all together at A-Level?
Hi, I’m in year 13 and I do french, spanish, business studies and and epq

I would say 4 a levels would be very difficult, especially when you take into account that all 4 subjects you are looking at are very content heavy, and you will probably need to do an NEA for English and you will have an IRP for french, and also most unis only ask for 3 a levels so if you know what sort of thing you want to study (if you plan on going to uni) you should probably take 3 a levels because a levels are so different to GCSEs I know people who got 9s in GCSEs who are failing and people who got 4s who are doing really well, you need all the time you can get, it would be better to do 3 well than be struggling and playing catch up all the time with 4 xx
thegeek888
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
If you think you can cope with the workload then do 4 A-Levels. I have seen Law firms application forms and they only have space for 5 subjects at most, considering some candidates sit 5 AS-Levels or 4 AS-Levels and continue with either 3 A-Levels or even 4 A-Levels. English Literature isn't particularly difficult if you get a high grade in the coursework and study the text and anthology inside out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (2)
9.52%
Okay (6)
28.57%
A bit lacking (6)
28.57%
Not good at all (7)
33.33%

Watched Threads