Hiraeth22
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I've recently applied to study medicine and just got my first interview from Hull/York Medical School. I've been getting major imposter syndrome already and I wanted to know if other people felt the same way. I keep thinking about why they even gave me an interview offer- my application wasn't that great, my GSCE grades were average and my personal statement wasn't even as good as some of my friends. Yet i got an offer and my friends all got rejected. I just feel like, the kind of people to get offers are supposed to be really clever and confident and I'm not any of those things.
And the thing is, I really, really want to study medicine, and I'm so determined, but i feel like I'm not good enough.
Sorry for the lengthy paragraph, i guess I just want to know if other people feel the same way.
Rainbow1768
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
I know it’s difficult, but stop thinking about the potential weaknesses in your application. This is irrelevant now because you’ve got an interview. This is your chance so take it and ace it!
I think confidence is such a difficult thing, but it’s self made, you have to build yourself up. The more prepared you are for these interviews the more confident you will feel. So instead of feeling doubtful, harness all your energy into preparation now. You can do this!
They obviously thought you were good enough to be given the chance in interview so stop doubting yourself and perform to the very best of your abilities. Then you’ll know that you’ve done all you can do. Don’t let self doubt get in the way of achievement!
AnnaBananana
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Imposter syndrome is something you learn to live with. I’m in the third year and still feel that way!

Your perception of their applications being better - well people often have a tendency to put themselves down and compare themselves unfavourably to others - but the unis will be looking at each application objectively using the same set of criteria. Their process must be fair and auditable - so your application must meet their criteria more closely that that of those who didn’t get an interview invitation. Maybe for a different uni, with slightly different criteria, the decisions would go the other way - who knows. What I do know is that it’s an intensely competitive year, lots of excellent people won’t get in, so stop second guessing yourself and start thinking about preparing for your interview!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (10)
10.42%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.04%
Finding the time to revise (7)
7.29%
Finding the motivation (24)
25%
Getting distracted (14)
14.58%
Procrastination (39)
40.63%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.04%

Watched Threads