I hate the UK education system

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I think it is so wrong to make 16 year olds start deciding their futures by choosing A levels that may limit their future university and therefore career options, (even 14 year olds choosing their GCSEs) and I really wish we had the US education system over here. The UK system is only good if you absolutley 100% know what career you want for the rest of your life at 16, which in most cases of 16 year olds just doesn't happen
0ptics
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think it is so wrong to make 16 year olds start deciding their futures by choosing A levels that may limit their future university and therefore career options, (even 14 year olds choosing their GCSEs) and I really wish we had the US education system over here. The UK system is only good if you absolutley 100% know what career you want for the rest of your life at 16, which in most cases of 16 year olds just doesn't happen
How exactly is the US education system better in this regard? Asking due to curiosity.
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 0ptics)
How exactly is the US education system better in this regard? Asking due to curiosity.
I guess they study many subjects in "college" which is our university....
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I wouldn't want the American education system here though, I like our education system as it is. It could change some aspects but duplicating the American system is not a good idea... this is MY OPNION btw.
Roses.Are.Red
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I feel like some people forget that you don't have to do A-levels. There's also the IB which, from what I've heard, offers more subjects and keeps options open. Choosing facilitating subjects is always good if you aren't fully sure.
Most 16 year olds can research, and instead of thinking about a specific job, you should think about the area in which you want a career in.
If you enjoy everything you do, then you have it easier: pick things you are the best at.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Roses.Are.Red)
I feel like some people forget that you don't have to do A-levels. There's also the IB which, from what I've heard, offers more subjects and keeps options open. Choosing facilitating subjects is always good if you aren't fully sure.
Most 16 year olds can research, and instead of thinking about a specific job, you should think about the area in which you want a career in.
If you enjoy everything you do, then you have it easier: pick things you are the best at.
here at university though you only study one subject and you have to know what that subject is before applying to uni, and once you get to uni it's very hard to change your subject. In the US you don't have to decide your major before starting uni, you can go in undecided and you only need to declare your major after 2 years. Also you can take a bunch of different classes and its so much easier to explore different areas to see what you like. They also have a much wider variety of subject options
sparkeldancer
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I agree honestly. It's too restrictive at such an early age. I wanted to do more than 4 A-levels if I could, and I regret computer science so much. One of my teachers cannot teach and the content is so dismal.

I just wonder whether I should have picked more than Just biology as a science, since my grades were quite high in everyhere, and honestly I wish I could do 7-8 A-levels over 3-4 years so I can figure out what I really want. But now I feel like I've ruled out certain options I would have liked to consider.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Lmao try the education system of any East Asian country and you'll be grateful for what you have. I much prefer the system here as I'd rather not study things I don't care about like English literature.
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sparkeldancer)
I wish I could do 7-8 A-levels over 3-4 years
I've seen everything on TSR at this point..... 7-8 A-levels jeez
ROTL94
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Ok, but how is you being indecisive indicative of a fault within the British education system?
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Lmao try the education system of any East Asian country and you'll be grateful for what you have. I much prefer the system here as I'd rather not study things I don't care about like English literature.
I second this..... the education system is also India not very great...
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
here at university though you only study one subject and you have to know what that subject is before applying to uni, and once you get to uni it's very hard to change your subject. In the US you don't have to decide your major before starting uni, you can go in undecided and you only need to declare your major after 2 years. Also you can take a bunch of different classes and its so much easier to explore different areas to see what you like. They also have a much wider variety of subject options
No one's stopping you from going to uni in America? It's an extra unnecessary year for people who don't want to study anything else.
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd rather go to uni to study my chosen subject.
a.dream
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Did- did someone just say they want to do 7-8 A-levels?

Boi- A-levels are not like GCSEs, hell, looking back GCSEs were such a piece of cake, I don't know why I complained.

I'm finding just three hard enough to juggle with.

EDIT: They said over a span of four years, so I guess that would be doable, if you do 4 A-levels every two years.
Last edited by a.dream; 2 weeks ago
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh and I'm derailing this thread but the system of going to medical school in the US is brutal. Many people go through the premed route just to not get into medicine and be left with a degree they don't want on top of the exorbitant tuition fees.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
No one's stopping you from going to uni in America? It's an extra unnecessary year for people who don't want to study anything else.

extremely high costs are stopping me
0ptics
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sparkeldancer)
I agree honestly. It's too restrictive at such an early age. I wanted to do more than 4 A-levels if I could, and I regret computer science so much. One of my teachers cannot teach and the content is so dismal.

I just wonder whether I should have picked more than Just biology as a science, since my grades were quite high in everyhere, and honestly I wish I could do 7-8 A-levels over 3-4 years so I can figure out what I really want. But now I feel like I've ruled out certain options I would have liked to consider.
I like how you tried to list negatives about the education system but ironically list the positives.
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
extremely high costs are stopping me
You're proving my point about how the American education system is flawed in the way that it's for the wealthy
AmIReallyHere
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Also they force you to have certain subjects before you graduate - not good
Son of the Sea
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
nikkiblonsky This you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.59%
Okay (113)
29.27%
A bit lacking (145)
37.56%
Not good at all (91)
23.58%

Watched Threads