Student0072021
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello.

My application for student finance was recently denied because i have Discretionary Leave to remain. I came to the UK 11 years ago and applied for asylum, which was granted ten years later (Feb 2021). Despite the fact that I have been in this country as an asylum seeker for such an extended period of time, SF informed me that they do not view asylum as a type of legal status. My "legal status" has only been in effect for nine months (February 2021-November 2021), and they require that an applicant has leave to remain for three years or more before they grant finance.

I want to appeal the decision because I was granted the right to access public funds (benefits) if necessary when my leave to remain was granted, and I'm at a loss to understand how my application for student finance can be denied based on the length of time I’ve had leave to remain. It should not be a factor because I've lived in this country for over 11 years and spent ten of those years waiting for my asylum application, which was not my fault given the home office's significant backlog in asylum cases.

Have you or someone you know gone through a similar appeals process and what was the outcome? What can I say or do to strengthen my appeal? ty. x
Bee1639
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
I am an asylum seeker myself and unno as per checking their website you are eligible once you are in the Uk and as you have the leave you remain i think you should talk to them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.61%
Okay (72)
29.51%
A bit lacking (91)
37.3%
Not good at all (60)
24.59%

Watched Threads