vixley
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Ive decided to do my EPQ on the Tudors and I want to specifically focus on the economy as I'm aiming to do a History/Economics course at Uni and already do both these subjects as A levels along with Maths. However, I need help on refining my question a bit as I'm not sure how broad I should be- so far I have 'How successful was the Tudor dynasty in making Britain's economy strong?'. Any tips/advice would be great!
Cote1
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
I know very little about Tudor history and the economy. However, the Tudor dynasty could be narrowed down a bit maybe? You could consider choosing a particular monarch, for example. Are you talking about England's economy at the time? If so, one idea is to consider Henry VII and how he strengthened the economy of England. You could also focus on foreign policy and the economy or domestic policy and the economy as a further way to narrow it down?
Last edited by Cote1; 1 week ago
vixley
Rep:
(Original post by Cote1)
The Tudor dynasty could be narrowed down a bit maybe. You could consider choosing a particular monarch, for example. Are you talking about England's economy at the time? If so, one idea is to consider Henry VII and how he strengthened the economy of England.
Yeah I was thinking of narrowing it down- I might do Elizabeth I as I know she's quite well-researched and brought stability too.
Cote1
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Elizabeth is the most interesting Tudor monarch, I always think, but you just need to see if there is plenty of material on the impact her reign had on the economy. Henry VII would still be worth considering.
You also perhaps need to be careful that there is not too much description (easy to fall into this) as it is good to bring in higher level analysis.
vixley
Rep:
(Original post by Cote1)
Elizabeth is the most interesting Tudor monarch, I always think, but you just need to see if there is plenty of material on the impact her reign had on the economy. Henry VII would still be worth considering.
You also perhaps need to be careful that there is not too much description (easy to fall into this) as it is good to bring in higher level analysis.
If I were to do Henry VII, do you have any recommendations for books/articles?
Cote1
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by vixley)
If I were to do Henry VII, do you have any recommendations for books/articles?
No. Apologies. I actually know very little about this. I am not a teacher or a historian but I know a small amount about EPQs. However, if you google you can get information on the main points that you would base it on. Then use google scholar and open access journals for scholarly articles and obviously look in your library for history books and other sources. There will be websites that are hopefully reliable and credible. I will put a MOOC link on here about the nuts and bolts of an EPQ and also on how to research which my daughter used. You don't have to pay for the MOOC certificates and can pretty much do it in a block or so of time. That is a good starting point.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/research-project

I don't think these cost anything. I know the first didn't. Just check and obviously if you are asked to pay anything then don't 🙂
Once you have done them, if you choose to do this, you can put in your log that you did them.
Last edited by Cote1; 1 week ago
vixley
Rep:
(Original post by Cote1)
No. Apologies. I actually know very little about this. I am not a teacher or a historian but I know a small amount about EPQs. However, if you google you can get information on the main points that you would base it on. Then use google scholar and open access journals for scholarly articles and obviously look in your library for history books and other sources. There will be websites that are hopefully reliable and credible. I will put a MOOC link on here about the nuts and bolts of an EPQ and also on how to research which my daughter used. You don't have to pay for the MOOC certificates and can pretty much do it in a block or so of time. That is a good starting point.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/research-project

I don't think these cost anything. I know the first didn't. Just check and obviously if you are asked to pay anything then don't 🙂
Once you have done them, if you choose to do this, you can put in your log that you did them.
You're a lifesaver, thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (2)
9.52%
Okay (6)
28.57%
A bit lacking (6)
28.57%
Not good at all (7)
33.33%

Watched Threads