The Student Room Group

A level biology externally

I am doing a btec in sixthform

And just heard that i can do exams externally without taking them in sixth form

so how would it work to do a a level outside of college ?

What about the required praticals ?
Would i need to take exams for as ?

Do i need to do a online course for it ?
Or could i just go to a exam centre and do it

I live in birmingham and dont know any centres near me

Need some explanation lol.
I don't know how you take them externally as in where as my school set it up for us if we wanted, but if you want the full a level you would only take the a level papers not the as. the content itself is very difficult and there is a lot and wouldn't reccomend doing it without a tutor, this year they have scrapped the pratical element but in future they won't and unis require the practical element to be passed
Reply 2
Original post by helooooooojrru
I don't know how you take them externally as in where as my school set it up for us if we wanted, but if you want the full a level you would only take the a level papers not the as. the content itself is very difficult and there is a lot and wouldn't reccomend doing it without a tutor, this year they have scrapped the pratical element but in future they won't and unis require the practical element to be passed

Im in yr 12 doing a btec , yr 13 have their as exams (dont know when) but i wanna take a level biology so i wouldnt need to do the as papers if i did it externally then how would i apply to uni in Novemeber if i take a level paper in yr 13 .

Im confused

Also cant my school allow me to do the practicals there as ive seen sites that are charing 1.2k ?
Original post by Anonymous
Im in yr 12 doing a btec , yr 13 have their as exams (dont know when) but i wanna take a level biology so i wouldnt need to do the as papers if i did it externally then how would i apply to uni in Novemeber if i take a level paper in yr 13 .

Im confused

Also cant my school allow me to do the practicals there as ive seen sites that are charing 1.2k ?

Why aren't you taking A level Bioogy at your school?
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79

Didnt meet requirements ,tried to move school but it was full class
Reply 5

If you know anything about external exams and practicals it would be appreciated im in year 12 btw
If you know anything about external exams and practicals it would be appreciated im in year 12 btw

If your school won't let you do the practical element it will be expensive. Look on the exam board website for schools accepting private candidates.
Reply 7
If your school won't let you do the practical element it will be expensive. Look on the exam board website for schools accepting private candidates.

Im doing applied science anyways and my form teacher is the chemistry/biology teacher
So would it work ?
Also how much are we looking at here to be a private candidate ?
Moreover for my course i need 3 a levels , including bio and chem and im doing a btec(equal to 3 a levels) science and will do bio and maybe chemistry ,will they still accept me (they require AAB)
Im doing applied science anyways and my form teacher is the chemistry/biology teacher
So would it work ?
Also how much are we looking at here to be a private candidate ?
Moreover for my course i need 3 a levels , including bio and chem and im doing a btec(equal to 3 a levels) science and will do bio and maybe chemistry ,will they still accept me (they require AAB)

So will they let you do the practical parts in your school? Will they enter you as a private candidate? Why do you need A levels as well as BTec? An additional two A levels isn't a sensible workload.
Reply 9
So will they let you do the practical parts in your school? Will they enter you as a private candidate? Why do you need A levels as well as BTec? An additional two A levels isn't a sensible workload.

I think they will let me do the praticals , but i doubt theyll enter me as a private candidate , dental schools require AAA and most of them dont accept btec the 3rd a level could be anything . Also we learn some of a level chem and a level bio in applied science . I chose btec applied science in my school in sept but couldn't do additional a levels

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending