I regret my choice of University and degree. Now what?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am at the end of the first semester of my fourth and final year studying Maths at Brunel University.

Recently, I realized a few things: I have not enjoyed my experience at University, I regret my choice of degree, and I don’t expect I will be able to compete in the job market after I leave University.

I don’t feel myself around the friends I’ve made. I’ve completely lost interest in the original issue/career path that originally made me choose Maths. The degree itself has been for the most part uninspiring.

It’s my fault too. I never fully committed myself to society. I didn’t venture outside of the first friend group I formed once I formed it. I didn’t read as much as I could have. I didn’t seek out opportunities to be creative or have a life outside of the course.

Broadly, these four years of my life have been thoroughly underwhelming. The truth is I have been in denial about many things: that I never really cared for my degree, that I didn’t belong at this university, that the friends I chose aren’t the friends I want, that I haven’t a clue what I’m going to do with this degree once I leave.

Have a seriously set myself back in life? Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone feel the same way?

Thank you.
Other_Owl
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
Happened to me regret going to university. Now trying to apply for software engineering apprenticeships. If you want you try apply for apprenticeships which are opening up now.
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
wow a lot of issues there. Firstly, Brunel is a highly respected uni so you should feel proud of that. Secondly, maths is a highly regarded degree so you have lots of job prospects. Data analytics is hot-hot-hot. Do a Masters in Business and Data Analytics at a different uni to experience life in a different uni and you will be assured of getting a job. Not sure if you are able to move away from the south east? Leeds has a good masters as does Glasgow. Both are great student cities so you will definitely experience a rich student life whilst studying in either city.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
wow a lot of issues there. Firstly, Brunel is a highly respected uni so you should feel proud of that. Secondly, maths is a highly regarded degree so you have lots of job prospects. Data analytics is hot-hot-hot. Do a Masters in Business and Data Analytics at a different uni to experience life in a different uni and you will be assured of getting a job. Not sure if you are able to move away from the south east? Leeds has a good masters as does Glasgow. Both are great student cities so you will definitely experience a rich student life whilst studying in either city.
Thanks for your advice, but I am not sure if will achieve the requirements to get into Leeds or Glasgow university for a master's.
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks for your advice, but I am not sure if will achieve the requirements to get into Leeds or Glasgow university for a master's.
Ok if you expect a 2.2 then there are still plenty of decent unis that will take you e.g. Aston, Swansea, Essex, Strathclyde etc
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I am at the end of the first semester of my fourth and final year studying Maths at Brunel University.

Recently, I realized a few things: I have not enjoyed my experience at University, I regret my choice of degree, and I don’t expect I will be able to compete in the job market after I leave University.

I don’t feel myself around the friends I’ve made. I’ve completely lost interest in the original issue/career path that originally made me choose Maths. The degree itself has been for the most part uninspiring.

It’s my fault too. I never fully committed myself to society. I didn’t venture outside of the first friend group I formed once I formed it. I didn’t read as much as I could have. I didn’t seek out opportunities to be creative or have a life outside of the course.

Broadly, these four years of my life have been thoroughly underwhelming. The truth is I have been in denial about many things: that I never really cared for my degree, that I didn’t belong at this university, that the friends I chose aren’t the friends I want, that I haven’t a clue what I’m going to do with this degree once I leave.

Have a seriously set myself back in life? Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone feel the same way?

Thank you.
The thing is your really close to the end. I'd say to finish the degree it's what 7 months until the exams if you do well you could do a masters in something you do like what ever that may be. A degree in what ever field does help open doors you don't have to use it I knew a girl who did maths then did a Masters in nutrition. or you could go and do something like train as a pilot if anyone is recruiting right now (your maths degree will help your application if you take that route)or air crew or something.
Anholm
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago

Thank you.
You are so close to completing the course, don't give up now. A degree is something to be proud of, particularly in mathematics which will be useful for a huge range of career paths. Finish the course, you will regret it if you don't.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
The thing is your really close to the end. I'd say to finish the degree it's what 7 months until the exams if you do well you could do a masters in something you do like what ever that may be. A degree in what ever field does help open doors you don't have to use it I knew a girl who did maths then did a Masters in nutrition. or you could go and do something like train as a pilot if anyone is recruiting right now (your maths degree will help your application if you take that route)or air crew or something.
Thank you for that. But worst-case scenario what should I do?
Honey57
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
Thank you for that. But worst-case scenario what should I do?
Definitely finish your degree. You’re so so so close and it’s maths so it’s something that’s flexible and you can work in other stuff that’s not related to maths like the above users said. You’re almost there. If you were to drop out now, then you’ve wasted a whole lot of time and hard work and a heck of a lot of money. So don’t drop out.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
Brunel is a highly respected uni
where is this from
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (34)
10.06%
Okay (99)
29.29%
A bit lacking (122)
36.09%
Not good at all (83)
24.56%

Watched Threads