abbieee-
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am stressed. I am on my PGDE course and have been applying for GTCS registration. Before I joined the course, I had a disciplinary with my work and a regulating body which had both expired and are off record now - the incident was not a great reflection of who I am but it probably looks bad - I did not lose my job or anything though.

The GTCS want me to declare it even if there is no record. I am just wondering if anyone has been through anything similar at all, were you able to continue your course, did you get into your NQT year? did having a previous disciplinary impact your teaching career at all?

I am stressed I will be kicked off the course or won't be able to become a teacher. I have my PVG and there is no record on there of anything, it came through 100% clean (as it should!)
sophiastar
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by abbieee-)
I am stressed. I am on my PGDE course and have been applying for GTCS registration. Before I joined the course, I had a disciplinary with my work and a regulating body which had both expired and are off record now - the incident was not a great reflection of who I am but it probably looks bad - I did not lose my job or anything though.

The GTCS want me to declare it even if there is no record. I am just wondering if anyone has been through anything similar at all, were you able to continue your course, did you get into your NQT year? did having a previous disciplinary impact your teaching career at all?

I am stressed I will be kicked off the course or won't be able to become a teacher. I have my PVG and there is no record on there of anything, it came through 100% clean (as it should!)
I am pretty sure disciplinary's only stay on your record for 12 months, so if its expired you do not have to declare it. Besides, do you need to use your old employer as a reference anyways? When I get around to applying for my NQT year, I will just use my University Tutor and placement 2 reference. However, I'm not exactly sure how the Scottish system works. I'm sorry.
abbieee-
Rep:
(Original post by sophiastar)
I am pretty sure disciplinary's only stay on your record for 12 months, so if its expired you do not have to declare it. Besides, do you need to use your old employer as a reference anyways? When I get around to applying for my NQT year, I will just use my University Tutor and placement 2 reference. However, I'm not exactly sure how the Scottish system works. I'm sorry.
thanks for your reply! Mine has been removed from my record at work for over 1 year now and from the regulating body for 6 months. In the GTCS registration for my NQT year, it specifically states even if they were expired and no longer on record, they need to be declared or it could lead to a further investigation, so I think I will definitely have to declare it. I am just stressed that because of this thing that happened in my past, I will get kicked off my course or something. I always go to the extreme but looking for reassurance or anyone with something similar happened to them - what their outcome was.
PrimaryITE
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 week ago

I can not see the form from where I am. What is the wording of the question? If it explicitly states you need to put things down then you should
(make sure you are not confusing the criminal conviction checks with ongoing disciplinary though). Not putting it and someone finding out later could be grounds for removing you at a later date for lying on the form. Unless it was something serious I would not worry about it though
abbieee-
Rep:
(Original post by PrimaryITE)
I can not see the form from where I am. What is the wording of the question? If it explicitly states you need to put things down then you should
(make sure you are not confusing the criminal conviction checks with ongoing disciplinary though). Not putting it and someone finding out later could be grounds for removing you at a later date for lying on the form. Unless it was something serious I would not worry about it though
This is the question:

*Are you currently or have you ever been the subject of any fitness to teach, fitness to practise or any other regulatory proceedings, in the UK or any other country?

You need to tell us if an employer, teacher education institution or other university or similar, in the UK or any other country, has ever taken any form of formal disciplinary action or investigation against you (whether or not any disciplinary sanction has been removed from your personnel file). Please outline as much information as possible, including any allegations against you. Doing so may avoid a fitness to teach investigation being opened in order to find out further information.*

So, what happened was an incident which left someone in my care vulnerable (but nothing actually happened, it was just a potential for something to happen)- there was a lot of things going on at this point in my life and it does not reflect who I am as a person. I didn't get fired or anything and all records are now gone from any system.
PrimaryITE
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
This is the question:

*Are you currently or have you ever been the subject of any fitness to teach, fitness to practise or any other regulatory proceedings, in the UK or any other country?

You need to tell us if an employer, teacher education institution or other university or similar, in the UK or any other country, has ever taken any form of formal disciplinary action or investigation against you (whether or not any disciplinary sanction has been removed from your personnel file). Please outline as much information as possible, including any allegations against you. Doing so may avoid a fitness to teach investigation being opened in order to find out further information.*

So, what happened was an incident which left someone in my care vulnerable (but nothing actually happened, it was just a potential for something to happen)- there was a lot of things going on at this point in my life and it does not reflect who I am as a person. I didn't get fired or anything and all records are now gone from any system.
Ah it's about your character then. Definitely declare it. Be honest about what happened, and explain why you think it happened and what you have learnt from the experience. It is possible these can be seen positively as they can change people's behaviours for the better. If you don't declare it and it comes up later, you'll likely be struck off just for being dishonest in your application form.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.64%
Okay (71)
29.22%
A bit lacking (91)
37.45%
Not good at all (60)
24.69%

Watched Threads