The Student Room Group

i'm literally so confused with the whole dental school process

how did people get help with their application and when did you start? I am in year 12 and I haven't done anything apart from some virtual work experience and volunteering in a charity shop. Should I start reading books and joining societies ? What extra curricular's should I take up?
Very good book with info about the process - your school may have a copy - or its worth buying : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Getting-into-Dental-School-Cross/dp/1912943344/
Original post by Talkative Toad

Thanks for the tag :smile:

OP, I’ve just responded to something you posted in another thread. But regarding things you could do now, consider:
- Learning or developing an existing manual dexterity skill (arts and crafts, bakery (cake decorating), instrument playing, origami, etc)
- Future Learn’s online course on dentistry
- Volunteering with a charity, care home, hospital (anything which shows people interaction)
- In person work experience
- Online work experience
- Taking up positions of leadership and responsibility e.g. head girl/boy, prefect, being part of a society committee etc
Original post by sof1a_2005
how did people get help with their application and when did you start? I am in year 12 and I haven't done anything apart from some virtual work experience and volunteering in a charity shop. Should I start reading books and joining societies ? What extra curricular's should I take up?

Hey,
You're not behind or anything so don't stress too much! As @Mesopotamian. said, work on doing things that you can talk about in your personal statement/interviews that are relevant to Dentistry for example, work experience/volunteering in healthcare, hobbies/clubs that require you to work on qualities that are important in a dentist.

Work experience in a dental environment is also essential as you need to be able to show them that you have an insight into what being a dentist is like and the important skills/qualities a dentist needs to have.

Hope this helped, let me know if you have any further questions!

Numra
Year 4 Dental Student
Medic Mind

Quick Reply

Latest