Will oxford be more lenient towards 2021 GCSE results?

Watch
Hammadyas20097
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello all,

My GCSE results were quite bad, but I know these grades don't represent my academic potential. I'm confident I can get A 'sand A*'s at A-Level. I'm doing chemistry, biology and politicsm and I'm planning to do medicine.

Will great A-levels and BMAT, make up for bad GCSE'S? Will Oxford be more lenient with 2021 GCSE results?

Kind regards
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Highly unlikely given the degree of grade inflation that has occurred. There’s no reason for them to be lenient.
ShadowHokage
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Hammadyas20097)
Hello all,

My GCSE results were quite bad, but I know these grades don't represent my academic potential. I'm confident I can get A 'sand A*'s at A-Level. I'm doing chemistry, biology and politicsm and I'm planning to do medicine.

Will great A-levels and BMAT, make up for bad GCSE'S? Will Oxford be more lenient with 2021 GCSE results?

Kind regards
For medicine, Oxford does shortlisting based on GCSEs and BMAT. Since the grades were TAGs, all students will have near perfect gcses which means they will need a high BMAT score. Since you don’t have good GCSEs, you would be need a very high BMAT score.

Don’t underestimate the BMAT, it is not an easy exam. Though, if you do well in your UCAT then have 2-3 safe option and then you can put Oxford as your aspirational one.
a.dream
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I don't think they would tbh, if everyone else got 20 A* - grade inflation say what? - and you didn't, why would they care? Less applicants to cut down in their eyes, i guess.

Because you can't do anything about the GCSEs, I say, put your heart into the BMAT. Good luck!
ashtolga23
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I'd say the opposite but I'm not an expert
Hammadyas20097
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thank you all for the honesty. I'll just work hard towards my A-levels, BMAT and UCAT. Oxford isn't the be-all and end-all after all.
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Hammadyas20097)
Thank you all for the honesty. I'll just work hard towards my A-levels, BMAT and UCAT. Oxford isn't the be-all and end-all after all.
Good mindset OP
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Btw, it doesnt matter 'where' you train as a doctor.

All Medicine degrees are accredited as equal by the GMC.
The NHS will not care where you trained - and neither will your future patients.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (5)
10%
Okay (18)
36%
A bit lacking (14)
28%
Not good at all (13)
26%

Watched Threads