Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have an expensive e bike which would make getting around so much easier. I'm worried it will get stolen though. Anyone ever used an expensive bike at uni? Any advice if you have? Anyone strongly against it?
chasinglacag
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
What uni? If it's in the Midlands I do not advice you do that
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
I used a fairly expensive bike at uni. I was really careful about double-locking it, including putting a lock through the front wheel, and nobody ever stole any piece of it.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by chasinglacag)
What uni? If it's in the Midlands I do not advice you do that
Not actually at uni yet. Why not in the midlands?
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
You'll need some thick steel chain locks for the front wheel and the back w/ frame. On electric bikes the battery can be stolen too dependent on the model (my neighbour had that happen to her) which complicates things.

I wouldn't recommend it, but you do you.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Get insurance. Good insurance and an insurance approved lock doesn’t cost much.
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
As above, get insurance and assume it will get stolen at some point (so pick insurance that will actually cover the cost of the bike). Also be sensible about where you lock it (use uni provided secure cycle stores wherever possible) and use good locks and lock it in a way to discourage theft (e.g. winding a chain through the wheels, not just putting a d lock under the seat which is easily removed, etc).

But as stated, assume it will get stolen sooner or later, because cycle theft is very common especially in university towns - it's also something that rarely gets followed up on just due to the sheet volume of cycle thefts that occur, so also don't bank on the police finding it or anything. You just want to contact them so you can notify your insurance the crime was reported to the police.

Alternately, keep your expensive bike at home (or sell it) and buy a cheap one at uni that isn't going to be the end of the world if/when it gets stolen.
PQ
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Fwiw - my bike is insured by https://www.eta.co.uk/bicycle-insurance/ and they’ve been very good although I haven’t had to claim for theft)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (36)
9.86%
Okay (106)
29.04%
A bit lacking (135)
36.99%
Not good at all (88)
24.11%

Watched Threads