spicycat
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So I'm in my final year at college doing A-level, and I have no idea about what to do after.

Should I apply to Ucas to keep my options open
I've made a list of Pro's and Cons, so you can see my situation.

Against Uni
3 years of debt(?)
It's not a guarantee that you'll get a great job after uni.
I'm sick of study, and have wanted to drop out of college twice.
I prefer earning money and working to sitting in a classroom.
Essays...I abhor them (and lowkey think I have ADD which makes me hate them a so much more)

For Uni
Degrees seem to be held in such high regard.
Might be more fun than college.
Could get bored of working a full time job.
Uni seems to open more doorways.

Suggestions please?

(a lot of this was copied from an older thread but only beacuse it sums up my points well)
kdaniels96
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by spicycat)
So I'm in my final year at college doing A-level, and I have no idea about what to do after.

Against Uni
3 years of debt(?)
Essays...I abhor them (and lowkey think I have ADD which makes me hate them a so much more)

For Uni

Suggestions please?

(a lot of this was copied from an older thread but only beacuse it sums up my points well)
For sure look at different career paths you may want to do and research it. But this is what you shouldve spent college time doing, before now. Dont be sick of studying because the degree, higher education will be the split difference in getting specific kinds of jobs than jobs where you dont have a degree and the pay gap differs. It's difficult but giving up is what keeps you in the comfort zone. I CAN say maybe take a year to find the profession or field you may want to go in then work in like retail or something within that year. Your eyes will open up super fast that the money wont be enough, especially if you live in a remote City area as cost of living is crazy. Dont spend no more than a year figuring out what you want to do.

Speak to a career's advisor and explore your options.

I left college years ago and didnt know what i wanted to do for these same reasons and now at 25 i am currently back on an access course, starting uni next year to study diagnostic radiography. look at different pathways too, not everything has to be the A Level route to the degree. But i wouldnt discourage anyone to get a degree because it may "not be for them", when in reality thats a mechanism to keep certain people away from degrees and moving up certain tax brackets (Cc: Marxism)
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by spicycat)

Against Uni
3 years of debt(?)

For Uni

Suggestions please?

It's entirely up to you, but I'll respond to each of your points from my own perspective.

3 years of debt(?) - Don't see it as debt but a tax. You don't have to pay it back until you're earning a decent wage and even then, it's a small amount that automatically comes out of your wages. It gets written off after 30 years and apparently can be written off after 5 years if you move to another country. It's really not the same as a debt and nothing to worry about hugely.
It's not a guarantee that you'll get a great job after uni. - No-one is guaranteed a job no matter what they do. You can always change your career or trade at any point in your life.
I'm sick of study, and have wanted to drop out of college twice. - Maybe try a gap year or two? That might help you decide, it helped me decide. If you're currently fed up now though, you won't have much motivation for uni level study.
I prefer earning money and working to sitting in a classroom. - Another option is the Open University so you can continue working but also work for a degree at the same time.
Essays...I abhor them (and lowkey think I have ADD which makes me hate them a so much more) - Choose a uni subject that doesn't primarily involve essays (Maths for example). You can also get support for your ADHD in university.

Degrees seem to be held in such high regard. - Yes they do but so does work experience and other experience that's relevant to the job you're applying for.
Might be more fun than college. - I never think it's wise to attend uni just for fun. You should apply when you're serious about what you want to do or study and about the amount of work required.
Could get bored of working a full time job. - You'll likely be working a full time job until you retire so I don't see how this is a point.
Uni seems to open more doorways. - Not always. I think society makes us believe that but there are other ways of getting into some careers.
Anisa-CityUoL
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi spicycat

I hope you are doing well.

I was in the same boat as you during my A-levels as I was unsure whether I wanted to attend university. However, one of the advice that I took on board was to keep my options open so when I get my results I can make an informed decision. I applied to jobs, apprenticeships whilst also applying to university and I am happy to say that going to university for me was one of my best decisions. I have grown as a person and have had an amazing experience but I love the student life. I would recommend that you research into the career path that you wish to pursue. For example, I wish to qualify as a solicitor so I had the option of an apprenticeship or studying the LLB. I applied to both but only managed to get onto the LLB programme. Additionally, as mentioned above speak to a careers advisor who can help you plan your future career.

Hope this helps.

Anisa
Final year Law Student 😊
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Definetly look into things like degree apprenticeships and/or take a gap year to research different careers and courses, and to work... cuz ur pros aren't strong enough to go imo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.82%
Okay (98)
29.17%
A bit lacking (122)
36.31%
Not good at all (83)
24.7%

Watched Threads