Maths Question Help

Watch
Nithu05
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Guys, I need help on this question. So far I've got:
4.9t^2 -13.2t+6<0
4.9t^2-13t+6.3<0
Last edited by Nithu05; 2 months ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Think you need to check your constant terms.
Nithu05
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
Think you need to check your constant terms.
Well, they're both projected from different heights so I added 4 onto the initial heights but now that I think about it, I think you need to subtract 4 from the heights? However, even if I do this I'll end up with two quadratics. How am I supposed to solve them simultaneously? Am I supposed to work out the inequalities separately and then combine them?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Nithu05)
Well, they're both projected from different heights so I added 4 onto the initial heights but now that I think about it, I think you need to subtract 4 from the heights? However, even if I do this I'll end up with two quadratics. How am I supposed to solve them simultaneously? Am I supposed to work out the inequalities separately and then combine them?
Rather than guessing what to do, write each quadratic inequality out fully, then collect terms.
As a fall back working them out seperately then combining will give a solution. It is only a couple of quadratics, should just take a couple of mins.
Last edited by mqb2766; 2 months ago
Nithu05
Rep:
Rather than guessing what to do, write each quadratic inequality out fully, then collect terms.
As a fall back working them out seperately then combining will give a solution. It is only a couple of quadratics, should just take a couple of mins.
Ok, so far I got:
4.9t^2-13t+1.7<=0
4.9t^2-13.2t+2<=0
Nithu05
Rep:
Ok, so far I got:
4.9t^2-13t+1.7<=0
4.9t^2-13.2t+2<=0
Thing is when I'm working out the roots, they're not whole numbers so something seems wrong.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Ok, so far I got:
4.9t^2-13t+1.7<=0
4.9t^2-13.2t+2<=0
that looks better, so just solve each of them.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Thing is when I'm working out the roots, they're not whole numbers so something seems wrong.
It doesn't look like a particularly "nice" problem in that respect.
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/s5sbdhrsaa
The quadratics numbers are too close, as you can see from the graphs.

You can always verify by subbing the times back into the original quadratics.
Last edited by mqb2766; 2 months ago
Nithu05
Rep:
It doesn't look like a particularly "nice" problem in that respect.
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/s5sbdhrsaa
The quadratics numbers are too close, as you can see from the graphs.

You can always verify by subbing the times back into the original quadratics.
OK, I worked out the combined inequality and got:
0.1611559962<=t<=2.515119982
Nithu05
Rep:
So is this the answer or is there one more step? Thanks so much for your help so far!
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Possibly a bit too precise for quoting, but just sub back into the quadratics to verify if you want.
They look about right from desmos.
Nithu05
Rep:
Possibly a bit too precise for quoting, but just sub back into the quadratics to verify if you want.
They look about right from desmos.
Ok I've substituted the values and it satisfies the inequalities. Should I just leave my answer as this?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Ok I've substituted the values and it satisfies the inequalities. Should I just leave my answer as this?
Probably not quite that precise (maybe 2 or 3 dp), but yes;
Nithu05
Rep:
Probably not quite that precise (maybe 2 or 3 dp), but yes;
Ok thanks so much for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (5)
6.94%
October 2021 (40)
55.56%
November 2021 (8)
11.11%
December 2021 (7)
9.72%
January 2021 (6)
8.33%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (4)
5.56%