The Student Room Group

What if my predicted grades do not meet the uni requirement...?

I honestly wanted to go to kings college to study business and management... However, my predicted grades probably won't be high enough. In the uni entry requirement, I had to get 766 at HLs, but I will probably get 755 at HLs... I was also planning to apply to cass business school that also requires higher grades such as 18 points in HLs and 35 points overall including tok and ee... (HLs; 755, SL; 7 at business, 55)
So what I want to say is, hopeless. That's it. I don't know what to do. I can't focus on studying anything at all almost 3 weeks after the d2 Mock exam, which judged me to get low grades... I honestly am lost and feel nothing and stressed, depressed and disappointed about myself. Honestly, what should I do now? I'm not considering other unis since kcl and cass are my dream unis. Also I don't take a gap year.
Im sure i can do much better in the real exam, let's say 39 (HL; 766, SL; 7business, 6english b, 5chemistry), but just the predicted grades do not meet the uni requirement.
So my question is, to what extent do i still have hope to get into those unis? Also, what happens if I the predicted grades don't meet unis requirement (either 766 or 18 points at HL) but meet them in the real exam? Will they still reject me?
sorry the question and explanation are not summarise but im just so lost
(edited 2 years ago)
unfortunately offers go out before exams - you get a conditional offer and then if you meet the requirements of that offer you gain a place at that uni. that's why they ask for predicted grades, which should meet their requirements to have a chance at acceptance. perhaps you could explain extenuating circumstances? or ask a teacher to do so (if there were any)? For me, my predicted grades were always at least one grade more than what I was currently achieving, and I talked to many teachers about it. Once I had explained to them that I NEEDED a set grade for my course, they gave it. I'd try that, and since you're saying you're not taking a gap year and not looking at any other unis I don't see what other option you have except apply and try :smile: worth throwing in some more options since on UCAS you can have 5, but yeah!
If your predicted grades are not good enough to get an offer, then you have two choices: you take a gap year and reapply with achieved grades (but you should be aware that on average achieved grades are lower than predicted grades) or you don't go to that university. Deciding now that you can't possibly take a gap year really isn't a good idea, and is also, at some level, not your choice - especially if you are only applying to two courses. You can only go to university next year if you have a university place to take up.

It doesn't matter if you meet the requirements in the real exam if you didn't get an offer. The only exception to that would be if the course is in clearing because it is undersubscribed or lots of people failed to meet their offers. That does sometimes happen for highly selective courses but it is unusual.
Reply 3
Original post by heyheygirl
unfortunately offers go out before exams - you get a conditional offer and then if you meet the requirements of that offer you gain a place at that uni. that's why they ask for predicted grades, which should meet their requirements to have a chance at acceptance. perhaps you could explain extenuating circumstances? or ask a teacher to do so (if there were any)? For me, my predicted grades were always at least one grade more than what I was currently achieving, and I talked to many teachers about it. Once I had explained to them that I NEEDED a set grade for my course, they gave it. I'd try that, and since you're saying you're not taking a gap year and not looking at any other unis I don't see what other option you have except apply and try :smile: worth throwing in some more options since on UCAS you can have 5, but yeah!

thank you for your reply!
I heard that the teacher can give the predicted grades based on the "ib score calculation". Idk what this exactly means but someone told me that the teachers can't technically give the optimistic predicted grades to the students who either seriously did bad in the mock or constantly didn't perform well in the exam as the ibo monitor teachers?
but also I heard the case that sometimes the uni gives conditional offer to the student who doesn't meet uni entry requirement but do better in the actual exam. i know talking about the past case is not productive thing but....
Bc, interestingly, Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved) is ABB, not AAA in A-level for cass and AAA for KCL business.
Though I can exceed 35 points overall but it just doesn't meet HL requirement.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by skylark2
If your predicted grades are not good enough to get an offer, then you have two choices: you take a gap year and reapply with achieved grades (but you should be aware that on average achieved grades are lower than predicted grades) or you don't go to that university. Deciding now that you can't possibly take a gap year really isn't a good idea, and is also, at some level, not your choice - especially if you are only applying to two courses. You can only go to university next year if you have a university place to take up.

It doesn't matter if you meet the requirements in the real exam if you didn't get an offer. The only exception to that would be if the course is in clearing because it is undersubscribed or lots of people failed to meet their offers. That does sometimes happen for highly selective courses but it is unusual.

Thank you for your reply.
If I took a gap year then would I need to have the real exam again in 2023 or can I still apply to the uni with the grade of 2022?
But what if I exceed the overall grade like 36 against 35 uni requirement but 2 points gap in HLs... Still rejection...?
Bc, interestingly, Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved) is ABB, not AAA in A-level for cass and AAA for KCL business.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ibismylife
Thank you for your reply.
If I took a gap year then would I need to have the real exam again in 2023 or can I still apply to the uni with the grade of 2022?
But what if I exceed the overall grade like 36 against 35 uni requirement but 2 points gap in HLs... Still rejection...?

If you've already been rejected then it doesn't matter whether you met the theoretical offer you were never given in the first place.

If you take a gap year and apply with achieved grades then you might get an offer or you might not. I don't know whether KCL give offers to every person who applies meeting the conditions. If you apply with achieved grades which don't meet the requirements it will almost certainly be an auto-rejection. You don't get to play one part of the requirements off against another - if you did, that would be written into the requirements in the first place.

Predicted grades are, on average, higher than achieved grades, so it's not especially surprising that the average achievement is lower than the requirement - bear in mind that it will also include people who had a lower contextual offer. But a university where the average is two entire grades lower than the requirement may be undersubscribed and in practice nowhere near as selective as they are trying to imply, so that might be worth a try anyway. They say they get huge numbers of applications for a small number of places, but bear in mind that almost all applicants will be applying to 5 universities, so five times as many applications as places is normal. And there's a thread on here which rather implies that they consider it completely normal for their courses to go into clearing. You don't set up an advertising campaign for a system you never use because you are already full up with highly qualified candidates.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4299888

Edit: actually, thinking about it, if their requirement is AAA but the average is ABB, then assuming at least some of their students meet the requirement, they're going to have roughly an equal number of students who got BBC. That's much further below the requirement than you are likely to be.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending