What is Uni like around Christmas Time?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am referring to the last few days of the semester before the Christmas Holidays.

In school, lessons would typically be a lot more relaxed as Christmas approached, or, at the very least, we would do Christmas themed work.
There would also be things like Christmas dinners, etc.

Is University the same? Is learning still at a high intensity, even though Christmas is approaching? Or do things become a bit more relaxed?
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
I have 2 assignments due for after Christmas - long assignments. That should give you a clearer view.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
No, it's not the same. They don't care. They will flat out set you a 4,000 word research paper to do over the Chrimbo holidays in addition to other academic work, and you may need to balance that with paid work that you do as well. The joys of higher education.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Lonely. Everyone I know is going home apart from me.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
If you're expecting the lecturer to put a film on, you might be well advised to expect disappointment!

With the exception of first year where we did go and have our last language class before Christmas in a café rather than in the faculty building, the Christmas cheer will come from your non-academic stuff rather than lectures.

And expect to be set work over Christmas for sure, as they always used to say, 'it's a vacation, not a holiday'.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I always had multiple deadlines and revision to do over the Christmas period as an undergrad, so no, they don't ease up on you in the slightest. If you belong to a society they might hold a Christmas dinner or party.
mnot
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am referring to the last few days of the semester before the Christmas Holidays.

In school, lessons would typically be a lot more relaxed as Christmas approached, or, at the very least, we would do Christmas themed work.

Is University the same? Is learning still at a high intensity, even though Christmas is approaching? Or do things become a bit more relaxed?
Last week of term is typically filled with coursework deadlines & the full onslaught of lectures (these are normally busier as it’s the last time before exams to ask questions).

People also tend to have social commitments and the like which become a squeeze, and then immediately after Christmas break is January exams.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Busy. Exam season looms, deadlines hang like the sword of damocles, social events pile up.

You'll be fine, just roll with the punches
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 week ago

Since its the last week of term you will typically have coursework deadlines etc.
I finish on December 17th for the Christmas break and on that week I have 2 coursework deadlines
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 week ago

Christmas themed work? Seriously? Are you expecting some cutting and sticking or something..
jonathanemptage
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
No you still get the full lectures and stuff there will be deccerations up which is nice though your hall mates or house mates might do a Christmas dinner thing but again that's not arranged by the university you societies might also do a Christmas party and there are usually lots of house parties wit the Christmas flair you are also expected to do some work over the break particually as you will have hand in's and maybe even some exams (eek) in January i mean do work too hard (maybe take Christmas and new years eve/day off but yeah do do some stuff you really don't want to fail in first year you only really need to pass (40%) but in 2nd and 3rd year that's when it count's.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
You might do a Christmas dinner with your flatmates but that's up to you.

Lecturers don't care. They will happily set you coursework to do over Christmas holidays. Exam season is January so everyone is revising too.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago

Hi!

In my experience uni was still high intensity. We usually have a couple of workshops to go through assignments, but in lectures and seminars, it was still the same as the rest of the term. The only work I do is assignments due in January over Christmas and catching up on my notes by organising them etc.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Nobody2u
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Lonely. Everyone I know is going home apart from me.
Why aren't you going home??😥
Chronoscope
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
My lecturers are being very kind and giving us a load of assessments and exams to do :lol: :cry:
Last edited by Chronoscope; 1 week ago
Pearson Business School Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 week ago

Hi, hope you are well.

Mostly around Christmas time you have loads of deadlines and exams just before the holiday so it can be quite stressful.

However, depending on what institution you are with, and how your tutors are, the experience can be made Christmassy and enjoyable.

One of my tutors likes to bring in chocolates for the last week of lessons. Also, our student experience team has set us up a Christmas social for when exams are over.

Hope this helps.

Ilona
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.82%
Okay (98)
29.17%
A bit lacking (122)
36.31%
Not good at all (83)
24.7%

Watched Threads