What GCSE subjects are essay - based?

Watch
Tina_12342
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,

I want to know if drama or french is essay-based subjects in GCSE?
Lotasaurus
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
I didn't do drama for GCSE but I know a few people who did and they said they really enjoyed it, but a lot of essay writing was involved. I would recommend looking at the specification for your exam board and it will probably tell you. For french GCSE I did AQA and there was quite a bit of writing involved, it was mostly 90-word texts, 150-word texts, and translation (English to French, French to English) as well as listening and reading, and speaking. It's not really much of an essay as they are quite short things to write (or at least for me) but it might be different for your course. Hope this helped
veish
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
i wouldnt say french is essay based as writing is only 1/4 of the gcse . there is also reading, speaking and listening which are not essay based. the writing is only a 90 word and a 150 word piece and there is less focus on the quantity and more the quality of french that you produce.
Tina_12342
Rep:
(Original post by Lotasaurus)
I didn't do drama for GCSE but I know a few people who did and they said they really enjoyed it, but a lot of essay writing was involved. I would recommend looking at the specification for your exam board and it will probably tell you. For french GCSE I did AQA and there was quite a bit of writing involved, it was mostly 90-word texts, 150-word texts, and translation (English to French, French to English) as well as listening and reading, and speaking. It's not really much of an essay as they are quite short things to write (or at least for me) but it might be different for your course. Hope this helped
Ok, Thanks for replying
Tina_12342
Rep:
(Original post by veish)
i wouldnt say french is essay based as writing is only 1/4 of the gcse . there is also reading, speaking and listening which are not essay based. the writing is only a 90 word and a 150 word piece and there is less focus on the quantity and more the quality of french that you produce.
Ok, Thank you for replying
Smallix
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
So, some essay-based subjects would be-
History
R.S or R.E
English Lit
I wouldn't say drama is essay-based tbh..
zws
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
hi, I did drama gcse (Edexcel) – it is VERY essay based!! obviously you have a group performance and monologues but in the actual exam you have 2 LONG answer essays I think and the rest are shorter-answer written questions. hope that helps!
Smallix
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by zws)
hi, I did drama gcse (Edexcel) – it is VERY essay based!! obviously you have a group performance and monologues but in the actual exam you have 2 LONG answer essays I think and the rest are shorter-answer written questions. hope that helps!
But it wouldn't be helpful, such as history or R.S...
ella1507
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Tina_12342)
Hi,

I want to know if drama or french is essay-based subjects in GCSE?
GCSE drama is divided into 3 components: only 1 of which is practical (a performance). Another is a written exam, which is made up of 1,2, 4 and 15 mark questions so it is mostly essay-based. The third is a portfolio, which again is essay-based. So yes, most of the course is essay-based.
I take GCSE Spanish, but it follows the same format as French in terms of exams, in the writing exam there is a 90-word and a 150-word task. Therefore, in this way, the subject is somewhat essay-based but bear in mind that the writing exam is only 25% of your final grade because you also have the listening exam, speaking exam and reading exam; none of which are essay based.
Conclusively, drama is essay-based and French isn't, but neither of them includes extremely long essays.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (13)
9.15%
Okay (42)
29.58%
A bit lacking (50)
35.21%
Not good at all (37)
26.06%

Watched Threads