The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I mean, we don't have any viable alternative... I would prefer for this not to take place.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sufys12
I mean, we don't have any viable alternative...

Other than wood, glass, metal, fabric...
Original post by Starship Trooper
Other than wood, glass, metal, fabric...

These are definitely not viable plastic replacements...
What are you on about?
Original post by sufys12
What are you on about?

How ever did we manage before?
They're rubbish, but I got myself some metal straw which are not so bad.
Reply 6
Original post by sufys12
What are you on about?

Indeed. I don't think people use these plastics because they like them.
The truth is that most products today contain plastics - pens, PC pasts, containers ...
It's hard to find a replacement that is just so good. Paper straws shows the problems with paper-based products.
Reply 7
Why aren't they investigating how these items end up as litter and polluting the waterways, and what are they doing about cleaning up the mess?
A lot of plastic packaging could be replaced with something a lot more environmentally friendly, such as glass or paper.

Is plastic packaging a greather threat to us than climate change, though? Probably not. OP, do I dare ask why you put climate change in quotation marks?
Reply 9
I'm at a loss as to why anyone over the age of 12 needs a straw for their drink.
Original post by DSilva
I'm at a loss as to why anyone over the age of 12 needs a straw for their drink.

I like to use a straw when drinking coke when out to mitigate the chance of my teeth being stained (obv I brush them when I get home)
Original post by DSilva

Straws make some drinks taste better. I prefer fizzy drinks from a straw rather than directly from the cup because it tastes nicer.

Paper straws, though, I have never had an issue with. Can't understand the fuss, tbh.
Funny enough I've just bought some split green beans from Tesco's (in November, what an amazing world we live in) and I'm torn between feeling bad that they came in plastic or that they were brought here from Egypt.
All by a company that asks you if you are sure you really need a receipt, in an effort to save the planet.
Just get two paper straws in case one gets too soggy, doesn't really happen that often lol
Original post by Starship Trooper
Just get two paper straws in case one gets too soggy, doesn't really happen that often lol

Or just not wait 100 years to finish your drink. xD
Original post by DSilva

I take it you've never had a cocktail.
Or a dentist.
Reply 18
mmm in theory a good idea in practice its a royal pain in the arse. Theyve been banned here for a while, notably shopping bags, and i havent been able to find a suitable replacement step in bin bag to replace the trusty old NewWorld ones :lol:

That being said, in the broader context, there are plenty of alternatives to use, depending on the application, its simply a matter of cost and convenience for people. Then again, if they actually disposed of the things properly and didn't dump them across the country in a manner Curtis LeMay would be proud of this would be a nonissue. Getting a dedicated collection for them and disposing of them properly would be far less annoying but alas.
Reply 19
Original post by sufys12
What are you on about?

There are other types of plastic that can be used and recycled outside of this 'class' though..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending