My colleague in the group talked to me rudely

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I’m a undergraduate doing a chemistry degree, and recently been assigned to a supervisor, working in his group. There is a research assistant who just graduated last year and joined his group now, and she sometimes talks to me in bad manners. Last night she messaged me, asking me why I moved her stuff in the fumehood a little bit without her permission. The fact is that I moved her stuff unconsciously and didn’t cause any problem to her experiment at all. But she kept blaming me very rudely and aggressively, and even said she got ‘evidence’ that it was me who moved her equipment as if I committed a crime or something. I don’t wanna argue at all, so I apologised and made sure I won’t touch her equipment again, finally she stopped replying to me. I do not want to argue w her, as we need to see each other for the rest of the academic year and sometimes I need help from her in terms of getting my experiment done. Yet I’m so angry about the way she talks to me. Dunno what to do now
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m a undergraduate doing a chemistry degree, and recently been assigned to a supervisor, working in his group. There is a research assistant who just graduated last year and joined his group now, and she sometimes talks to me in bad manners. Last night she messaged me, asking me why I moved her stuff in the fumehood a little bit without her permission. The fact is that I moved her stuff unconsciously and didn’t cause any problem to her experiment at all. But she kept blaming me very rudely and aggressively, and even said she got ‘evidence’ that it was me who moved her equipment as if I committed a crime or something. I don’t wanna argue at all, so I apologised and made sure I won’t touch her equipment again, finally she stopped replying to me. I do not want to argue w her, as we need to see each other for the rest of the academic year and sometimes I need help from her in terms of getting my experiment done. Yet I’m so angry about the way she talks to me. Dunno what to do now
Talk to her in person to clear the air, perhaps with your supervisor present if you want them to help mediate. Maybe she was having a bad day, and you moving her stuff was the final straw for her.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Hi!

It would be best to talk to her in person. Maybe talk to her with your supervisor, so they can act as a mediator if things don't resolve with just you talking to her.

I hope you get this sorted
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
So it’s important to know that an RA is not teaching staff, they get paid to do research, not to look after undergrads and their career is on the line if that research is not productive enough. Do you have any idea how much time and effort went into the setup you moved or how sensitive / dangerous it was ? It’s possible that it was “just a bit of lab kit”, but its also entirely possible that days or weeks of work went into getting to that point, hence the RA sensitivity to you moveing things you should keep away from. So a useful lesson, don’t pi** of the senior guys in the lab. Best to sit down with your supervisor and tell them what happened, it might be that the RA is over sensitive, but it's also possible you nearly trashed something important. If the lab team doesnt trust you, its going to make your project work difficult so this needs sorting ASAP.
Last edited by Mr Wednesday; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (36)
9.81%
Okay (107)
29.16%
A bit lacking (135)
36.78%
Not good at all (89)
24.25%

Watched Threads