The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham

how competitive are notts sports teams?

I've got an offer for Nottingham and currently play netball at a county level, but was wondering obviously as Nottingham is a sports university whether there would be a chance you could make any of the competitive teams?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by eloisecs
I've got an offer for Nottingham and currently play netball at a county level, but was wondering obviously as Nottingham is sports university of the year whether I'd be in a very low down team? If I was, is the sport less enjoyable as you are in 4th/5th team for example?

Can’t speak for netball or the typical standard (you can always message the club on instagram or FB) the reality is every sports club at Notts is different, but lots of clubs really do compete at the top end, international athletes & some teams have had olympians... but Nottingham sports offers a blend of options. The big sports especially have lots of levels with varying options from just engagement & getting people active to elite competition.

Most big sports tend to offer a variety:
1) BUCS with teams competing on national level
2) BUCS at local/midlands levels
3) local community leagues i.e. leagues for Nottingham/east midland based clubs
4) Intramural sports (only students inside Nottingham university)

I don’t see why it has to be less fun if you don’t play in the top team, often times i here the lower level stuff is more fun, as if your playing in a 1st team the expectations are higher. The intramural sports are also very popular way to play casually and you can play in a halls or course team.
(edited 2 years ago)
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
I've got an offer for Nottingham and currently play netball at a county level, but was wondering obviously as Nottingham is a sports university whether there would be a chance you could make any of the competitive teams?

Are you on the main campus (university park)? If so I've heard they are pretty good. Or at least good within university leagues. The sports facilities on UP are really really good. Im on SB and my course runs April-december so sports aren't such a big thing on my campus but ive heard sports on UP is good.

It would definitely be worth trying out as Netball have a lot of competitive teams! Also Netball is a brilliant one because individual societies have their own teams as well such as Natural Sciences society, Neuroscience society and Jewish society! So, if you didn't make the university team, you would be guaranteed a place on the individual society team where they play against other socieites in a league. Accommodation/individual halls also have teams as well. Loads of options with netball!

Congrats on your nottingham offer by the way!! Any questions about the uni fire them at me, I study there and am in my 3rd year. What course did you apply for?
Laila

Hey,

So as the others have mentioned there is lots of ways to get involved with Netball.
It seems as you have played for country that you would be interested in the University Netball team.
Every year during the first few weeks of term the sports clubs hold trails to determine what team people should be in. Netball have 7 competitive teams so there is plenty of chance to play at the highest level at the University.

When you get to Uni I would highly recommend attending the freshers fair and chatting to the Netballers at their stand. They will be able to give you the information about when and where the trials are being held so if you were interested you don't miss out!

Any questions about sport or Nottingham just let me know and I'll get back to you ASAP

Emily :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest