The Student Room Group

After uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thatgirl_1
Yeah definitely. If you feel like university is taking more out of you than it’s giving you. You should consider doing something else. Cause there’s so many other avenues. Not going to uni is not the end all be all. What do you enjoy doing?

I’m in the second year so I have kind of got to finish it as I can’t start a new degree due to lack of funding. I have not enjoyed anything for many years now.
Original post by Thatgirl_1
Great, thanks for your insight on this.

Hi

I've not found a way to network with anyone involved in big 4 grad recruitment yet - and in any case what happens for this years recruitment processes (lets assume in mainline audit) may change by the time you apply. Certainly there is some benefit in looking through the firms websites. As always the exact filtering mechanism is less clear than it could be.

I think your consideration of taking an additional A level isn't crazy in principle. One thought anyone should have when making a big decision is to run through a bit of a checklist:

- how much would the outcome benefit me above other more accessible alternatives?
- regardless of the benefit it the outcome something I would enjoy?
- if I look at a route to improve my chances of a favourable outcome (in this case a job in a large accounting firm) how much might my odds be improved by? 5% up to 15%? I don't know - but how much of an improvement in the probability is worth it for you?
- what is the price - in time, money, lost alternative opportunities and risk of not succeeding in doing well enough in the additional A level? Is that a price you are willing to take on for an improved outcome?

Here is where the world gets murky. Perhaps someone has had disappointing A level results, can identify where things went wrong and can have some confidence in improving. They consider resitting to get onto the course/ level of university they aspire to. In this case - for most non medical courses - the grades required are generally somewhat clear and if you get the grades you will get onto the course.

Applying for jobs is different. I'd imagine a notable majority of people who do have strong grades and focus on big 4/ top 8 accounting firms won't get in. Plus some who don't have strong A level grades will. Its not an accessible calculation.

An additional factor - which had been the case for a lot of accounting firms plus a lot of other jobs that filtered for A levels - is that retakes were simply excluded or at best downgraded. Likewise A levels taken over more than two years. That was never always the case but certainly was for some of the firms.

So - best to have a look at what the firms state on their websites in the next post.
Current requirements (for most audit departments):

- PWC - require a 2:1 but state they don't consider A level grades. I couldn't find any GCSE requirements.

- KPMG:

Entry Requirements:
As a general rule, you’ll be expected to meet the following requirements (*or equivalents)

Minimum Grade 6 GCSE* Maths
Minimum Grade 6 GCSE* English Language
Minimum of 120 UCAS points* under the 2017 tariff point system at A Level
Minimum 2:1 degree in any discipline
Please note, we only consider a candidate's 'top' 3 A-Level grades and do not accept General Studies.

I make that BBB or equivalent. So - you would need an A* to meet the requirement - but this only works if they accept an A level taken at a later date.

- Deloitte

GCSEs Maths grade 5 and English grade 4 to apply for all programmes
Plus 104 UCAS points for BrightStart, Year 12 (NI Year 13 and Scotland S5) Careers Shapers and Graduate Programmes.
Plus a 2:1 degree for Graduate Programmes, which include our Full Time Graduate programme, Industrial Placement, Summer Vacation Scheme and Spring into Deloitte.

A much lower A level requirement than KPMG - you could get to 104 points with a grade B.

- EY

"We operate an open access policy, meaning we don’t screen out applications on your academic performance alone. You will, however, need to be working towards an honours degree in any subject, have a minimum of grade 4/C GCSE (or equivalent) in English Language and Maths, and three A-levels/Five Highers (or equivalent) to be eligible to apply."

"Throughout the recruitment process, we therefore assess your suitability for an EY role by considering your scores in the online assessments alongside your academic attainment at A level or equivalent. We combine this with your scores obtained in the online assessments, and expect a minimum threshold to be achieved. As a guide, if you have less than 112 UCAS points from your top three A-levels, five Highers or equivalent, you will need to achieve very high scores within the online assessments to meet the threshold."

So - not entirely clear. EY do use consultants to help them adjust results for socio- economic background. Does 112 points count for more in a sink school than a grammar? Not clear. Plus - there seems to be some scaling effect going on. Is it much easier to get an offer with higher A level grades - again, not clear.

- Grant Thornton

Not entirely clear from their website. They used to state that they didn't consider A level grades at all as they found their aptitude tests more reliable. I couldn't see this on their current information.

- BDO

A 2:2 degree in any discipline (obtained or predicted)
Three A-levels or equivalent at A* to C excluding General Studies and Extended Projects (obtained or predicted)
A 9–4 in Maths and English at GCSE or equivalent (we will also consider qualifications from outside the UK)

Again - BDO use their aptitude testing as a huge part of recruitment. Its not clear whether the a levels and degree grade are for gatekeeping along or are used as part of a point scoring system.

You have a perfectly good shot at PWC and GT (I think - not certain) without sitting any further A levels.

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending