What do I do? I need to change subjects but my school won't let me.

Watch
randomacc123
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Currently in Year 12, it has only been one term and I am studying Chemistry, Maths and Economics. I want to study medicine and I know there are universities that accept those 3 for medicine however I want to go to a university or have a greater chance of going to a university in London which they all require biology. What do I do and if needed, how do I change school? I'm losing focus because this is the only thing on my mind. Any help?
abbytj04
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by randomacc123)
Currently in Year 12, it has only been one term and I am studying Chemistry, Maths and Economics. I want to study medicine and I know there are universities that accept those 3 for medicine however I want to go to a university or have a greater chance of going to a university in London which they all require biology. What do I do and if needed, how do I change school? I'm losing focus because this is the only thing on my mind. Any help?
Not from the UK but currently in Year 13 taking A-Levels. My school doesn't offer FMaths but since I'm taking engineering, its highly recommended so I decided to study on my own. I found this website for like homeschooling (https://wolseyhalloxford.org.uk). I found this website pretty late (3-4 months into my Year 13) but since you r still in the first term of Year 12 I think there will still be enough time to study on your own. Well in my school's case even though they do not offer FMaths they could still arrange me to take the exam so I guess try talking to ur school to see if they could still arrange for u to take the exam. Tho I will be taking it at AS since I am already taking 4 other A2 subjects and 2 other AS subjects and I was a little lazy back in Year 12.
Last edited by abbytj04; 1 week ago
becca_sneyd
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by randomacc123)
Schools are very used to people changing their subjects. I assume that you have someone who overviews that type of thing so you will need to speak to them, but before doing that I would talk to the head of biology and ask them how easy it would be for you to catch up, see if they have a help club after school you could attend, and speak to friends or people you know are taking biology for notes you could use to catch up. After doing this then ask the person in charge, if you show that you are very motivated and have already started working towards biology they will be a lot more likely to let you change.
EOData
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
It is late in the year to be changing and you will have missed a lot of work. Talk to your school to see what might be possible - it depends on a load of things: what grade you achieved at GCSE, have you started learning the Biology content yourself already? Could you pick it up as an AS next year? etc.. Moving schools would be very disruptive and significantly lower your chances of getting the grades you'd need at the end of the course.
Last edited by EOData; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (143)
33.49%
Yes - a trusted person (110)
25.76%
No (119)
27.87%
I'm not sure (55)
12.88%

Watched Threads