Shabina Mujahid
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So, third-year law student and want to apply for an inn because I want to be a barrister. The thing is everyone tell me how hard it is to get in and how competitive it is. Anyone here who has gone through that stage please any advice on what INN I should apply and what I need to do to get in.
Veni Vidi Fugi
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Shabina Mujahid)
So, third-year law student and want to apply for an inn because I want to be a barrister. The thing is everyone tell me how hard it is to get in and how competitive it is. Anyone here who has gone through that stage please any advice on what INN I should apply and what I need to do to get in.
Applications to the Inns of Court are not, in my experience, at all competitive. The real hurdle is pupillage. Most people will recommend their own Inn; it really doesn't matter, in my view, which you choose.
Shabina Mujahid
Rep:
(Original post by Veni Vidi Fugi)
Applications to the Inns of Court are not, in my experience, at all competitive. The real hurdle is pupillage. Most people will recommend their own Inn; it really doesn't matter, in my view, which you choose.
Right. Thank you so much.
Blayze
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Veni Vidi Fugi)
I agree with this.

I would say that Inns are the main source of scholarships for the Bar course, and the size of those scholarships varies widlly. I'm at Grays', so I can do a shameless plug that I think their system is still that everyone gets a fairly large guaranteed lump sum, with then additional top-ups given via means-testing. Even if it isn't still that, I think their awards tend to be largest, and they're great.
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Yes, you've misunderstood. Inn applications are actually practically automatic, whereas it's securing pupillage that is intensely competitive. There is relatively little to separate them. I went with Middle because they catered better for out of London students in terms of dining etc. The respective scholarships programmes is very often something that students will consider when choosing between the Inns, and it is certainly a key element to consider if you are looking to apply for scholarships.
Shabina Mujahid
Rep:
(Original post by Crazy Jamie)
Yes, you've misunderstood. Inn applications are actually practically automatic, whereas it's securing pupillage that is intensely competitive. There is relatively little to separate them. I went with Middle because they catered better for out of London students in terms of dining etc. The respective scholarships programmes is very often something that students will consider when choosing between the Inns, and it is certainly a key element to consider if you are looking to apply for scholarships.
(Original post by Blayze)
I agree with this.

I would say that Inns are the main source of scholarships for the Bar course, and the size of those scholarships varies widlly. I'm at Grays', so I can do a shameless plug that I think their system is still that everyone gets a fairly large guaranteed lump sum, with then additional top-ups given via means-testing. Even if it isn't still that, I think their awards tend to be largest, and they're great.
I see. The thing is I was very confused and some people from my course told me how they do tests and they look at your credibility and if they think you are eligible to be a barrister then they chose you and I searched on the internet and couldn't find anything like such so I thought I'll ask here which was a great thing to do because now atleats I know ill have to worry more about the grades and the pupillage more than getting in the INNs.
Blayze
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Shabina Mujahid)
I see. The thing is I was very confused and some people from my course told me how they do tests and they look at your credibility and if they think you are eligible to be a barrister then they chose you and I searched on the internet and couldn't find anything like such so I thought I'll ask here which was a great thing to do because now atleats I know ill have to worry more about the grades and the pupillage more than getting in the INNs.
No tests, they do look at credibility but if I recall that is basically you just get two "reputable" people to sign a certificate of good standing (all explained on the inns' websites)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.79%
Okay (99)
29.38%
A bit lacking (122)
36.2%
Not good at all (83)
24.63%

Watched Threads