Tanyme
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi guys, i am currently hoping to take a level biology, chemistry, physics and maths privately, ideally I want to sit the summer 2022 exams. I've already made all the biology and chemistry (AS and A2) notes, and i am moving onto exam questions. I am also starting A level physics notes this week (I've already done electricity, and a few other topics) a level maths and hoping to have done all the notes for both of them by the end of January, and fully practise all the questions i can find and all the exam papers from February to the exam. Is that a good idea and a good route to all As and mainly A*s?
Why are there a lot of people discouraging from taking 4 a levels in one year, because i feel like its almost like revision to prepare for the exam which a lot of a level students start from Easter or even before?
Would any student (who've already done A levels encourage this? If not what would be the problem.
I am so confused, all rep[lies would much appreciated.
kk15405
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Tanyme)
Hi guys, i am currently hoping to take a level biology, chemistry, physics and maths privately, ideally I want to sit the summer 2022 exams. I've already made all the biology and chemistry (AS and A2) notes, and i am moving onto exam questions. I am also starting A level physics notes this week (I've already done electricity, and a few other topics) a level maths and hoping to have done all the notes for both of them by the end of January, and fully practise all the questions i can find and all the exam papers from February to the exam. Is that a good idea and a good route to all As and mainly A*s?
Why are there a lot of people discouraging from taking 4 a levels in one year, because i feel like its almost like revision to prepare for the exam which a lot of a level students start from Easter or even before?
Would any student (who've already done A levels encourage this? If not what would be the problem.
Most people who do 4 A Levels in school do them within one exam season
Not sure what you are trying to say but some may discourage from taking 4 A Levels as most universities don't really look at the 4th A Level anyway unless you are doing Further Maths and are looking to do a STEM degree (doesnt apply to you since you didnt take A Level FM)
bamtutor
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Remember that you will need to find an Exam centre to sit the exams and these can be very expensive. Also for Chemistry and Biology (not sure about Physics) you have to also fid somewhere to complete the practicals and this adds more expense.
EOData
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Have you found an exam centre?
Do you need to complete the assessed practicals?
Do you have the money to afford it all?
Last edited by EOData; 1 week ago
Tanyme
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by bamtutor)
Remember that you will need to find an Exam centre to sit the exams and these can be very expensive. Also for Chemistry and Biology (not sure about Physics) you have to also fid somewhere to complete the practicals and this adds more expense.
Yes, i have looked into a few exam centres and i have thought of ways to pay for the exam.
Last edited by Tanyme; 1 week ago
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
You need 360 hours per subject just to learn the material, and then you need revision time on top.

You're talking 1,440 hours in one year, divided by 39 academic weeks.

That's nearly 37 hours a week just to learn the material plus another maybe 12 hours a week revision.

49 hours a week is a bit mad. Even full time workers draw the line at 40 hours a week.

I strongly suggest you rethink this plan.
Tanyme
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
You need 360 hours per subject just to learn the material, and then you need revision time on top.

You're talking 1,440 hours in one year, divided by 39 academic weeks.

That's nearly 37 hours a week just to learn the material plus another maybe 12 hours a week revision.

49 hours a week is a bit mad. Even full time workers draw the line at 40 hours a week.

I strongly suggest you rethink this plan.
Thank you for replying.

How did you calculate 360 hours per subject? And isnt that average, more or less it depends the students capability right? If you divide that 49/7 - thats 7 hours a day, acknowledging that i am not working, but spending the whole year learning (no other activity). And id be using the holidays out of the academic week.

I really appreciate your comment though, thanks!
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
How did you calculate 360 hours per subject?
https://www.brightknowledge.org/educ...vels-explained

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 12
Size:  36.0 KB
EOData
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
Thank you for replying.

How did you calculate 360 hours per subject? And isnt that average, more or less it depends the students capability right? If you divide that 49/7 - thats 7 hours a day, acknowledging that i am not working, but spending the whole year learning (no other activity). And id be using the holidays out of the academic week.

I really appreciate your comment though, thanks!
When qualifications are approved they have a difficulty (e.g. A levels are Level 3) and a size (how many guided learning hours (GLH) needed to complete them). A levels are identified as needing 360GLH. This is only a guide and people will spend far more or far less.
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
What subject are you hoping to study at university? You may as well do an Access Course rather than waste time, money, and effort. They're much easier and only take 1 year.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by 982761834)
What subject are you hoping to study at university? You may as well do an Access Course rather than waste time, money, and effort. They're much easier and only take 1 year.
Uni's are a bit more finicky about accepting Access courses, whereas with AL's the progression routes are much clearer.

That said, I don't know why the OP is considering 4 rather than just smashing 3 subjects.
Tanyme
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
Uni's are a bit more finicky about accepting Access courses, whereas with AL's the progression routes are much clearer.

That said, I don't know why the OP is considering 4 rather than just smashing 3 subjects.
I am hoping to apply for medicine. My gsce grades were low, due to the teachers assessed grade back in 2020, so i thought doing 4 a levels would approve my academic skills i guess. I dont want my gcses to define me, and i dont have time to redo them and then do a levels if you get me.

And i kinda am reconsidering 3 alevels rather than 4, but i am not sure if i have a better chance with 4 a levels rather than three. I know uni’s only look at three but 4, obv provves my academic abillity.
Last edited by Tanyme; 5 days ago
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
I am hoping to apply for medicine. My gsce grades were low, due to the teachers assessed grade back in 2020, so i thought doing 4 a levels would approve my academic skills i guess. I dont want my gcses to define me, and i dont have time to redo them and then do a levels if you get me.

And i kinda am reconsidering 3 alevels rather than 4, but i am not sure if i have a better chance with 4 a levels rather than three. I know uni’s only look at three but 4, obv provves my academic abillity.
Medicine is a bit out of my wheelhouse, so I am not certain if there are any unis where a fourth AL would give a boost. ecolier - any guidance you can give?
EOData
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
I am hoping to apply for medicine.
In that case you'll need to get a pass in the assessed practicals. Make sure yoi factor in that undertaking the practicals at an exam centre is going to take at least a week of your time per A level (and be very expensive)
Tanyme
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Yep, ive taken note of that, however ive emailed a few unis, eg, imperial if i cant take the practical thats alright with them or with bristol i need to tell them ive taken no practical endorsement before hand. Besides i was wondering, if i sit my a levels next year, without the practical endorsements. Once ive done Ucas and had my interviews and if i get an offer (practical endorsement wouldnt be a part of their assessment) they might make an offer with a pass in the practicals as a requirement, im not sure. And i can then sit the practicals after the offer, during my gap year which would be mich easier.

Hence i might or might not do the practicals this year.
Last edited by Tanyme; 5 days ago
EOData
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
And i can then sit the practicals after the offer, during my gap year which would be mich easier.

Hence i might or might not do the practicals this year.
You can't sit the practicals later. You either have to do it all in one exam season or, if you re-sit, you can carry forward a pass in the practicals and re-sit the exams but what you can't do is add the practicals later, unless you do everything again.
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Admit-One)

"finicky" in what sense? if they say they accept access.... they accept access.
Rep:
Report 3 days ago

It doesn't really matter what if you do 3 or 4 for most universities as as long as you have 3 As, thats fine. Different unis use different selection processes, so for example Bristol: you could apply with literally 2 (Maths at a 7 and English at a 4) GCSEs and an access course and get in, as long as you have a good ucat score. Look at MedicMind and the Medic portal for how Unis choose applicants as it will open your eyes to whether med is accessible - which it most likely is. I know at least 4 people who've done med via Access to Medicine, so there is hope!
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by 982761834)
"finicky" in what sense? if they say they accept access.... they accept access.
Finicky in the sense that a uni can fairly arbitrarily decide that they don't want to accept a specific Access course for entry. Or they might have some requirements as to the modules within it or the grades to be achieved in those modules.

A uni stating "we accept Access courses" is not the same as "we accept the Access course that you are doing for entry to the specific course that you want to do here". Indeed, you might find that some choices are fine with it, but others aren't. At least with AL's the requirements are front and centre and are not going to be a stumbling block.

TLDR: I tell all enquirers to check with us before enrolling on any Access prog to check that we're happy with it for the course they want.
AlexVojProc
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
I'd agree with some of the other people on here. Assuming you know what degree you want to do, there's not much merit in doing 4 A-levels (excluding Further Maths) when you could get higher grades in the more useful subjects with 25% less effort. Just look up the entry requirements for your desired course and dedicate all your time to meeting these, or do an access course.

Last year, I sat three A-levels privately with Tutors & Exams, who seemed to be the biggest and most respected exam centre. I was lucky enough to get A*A*A* in Maths, Economics and Chemistry (after a pretty rigorous moderation process) with less than a year of learning, so it's definitely possible if you have the time and money. If you have no reason to make your life harder, why would you? (except to give yourself a pat on the back, which could very easily backfire)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (136)
33.66%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.49%
No (109)
26.98%
I'm not sure (52)
12.87%

Watched Threads