not sure if i have autism or not

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
my mum has been telling me for years that I could be on the autistic spectrum and when i went to the doctor last week he said it was a possibility (although idk what my mum told him, i couldn't tell him anything because i was too anxious lol). However i feel like im probably not autistic because there's lots of traits i feel like i don't have, or only have a bit. Idk im just rlly confused lol
0ptics
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
my mum has been telling me for years that I could be on the autistic spectrum and when i went to the doctor last week he said it was a possibility (although idk what my mum told him, i couldn't tell him anything because i was too anxious lol). However i feel like im probably not autistic because there's lots of traits i feel like i don't have, or only have a bit. Idk im just rlly confused lol
Why does your mum suspect that you could be on the autistic spectrum? Also, not every autistic person has every autistic trait, hence why it’s a spectrum. What autistic traits do you think you have?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 0ptics)
Why does your mum suspect that you could be on the autistic spectrum? Also, not every autistic person has every autistic trait, hence why it’s a spectrum. What autistic traits do you think you have?
well i struggle with eye contact and social situations (but only with people i don't know well, im fine with my close friends), ig i can sometimes come across blunt, im not very good at understanding other peoples feelings and i suppose i can find changing my routine hard but at the same time i worry when i say this im making it up and what i could be experiencing is just normal or not true? idk lol. i feel like i might have also had some more autistic traits when i was younger that have since got much better such as trouble with coordination, sensitivity to textures (i was super particular about the clothes i was wearing) and took phrases very literally. But i have never had a special interest particularly apart from when i was younger, and am very sociable as long as im with my close friends so yeah idk really
Anonymous #1
boost
flamingolover
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
I'm in a similar position. Are you a female? If so female autism presents differently to male autism and there is also not as much research into it. You may think you dont have lots of traits as they are more common in male autism and not female autism.
0ptics
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
well i struggle with eye contact and social situations (but only with people i don't know well, im fine with my close friends), ig i can sometimes come across blunt, im not very good at understanding other peoples feelings and i suppose i can find changing my routine hard but at the same time i worry when i say this im making it up and what i could be experiencing is just normal or not true? idk lol. i feel like i might have also had some more autistic traits when i was younger that have since got much better such as trouble with coordination, sensitivity to textures (i was super particular about the clothes i was wearing) and took phrases very literally. But i have never had a special interest particularly apart from when i was younger, and am very sociable as long as im with my close friends so yeah idk really
All of the traits that you’ve listed do appear in autistic people. Bad coordination, only wanting specific textures, not understanding others that well, preferring to stay in a routine etc. are traits that autistic people have. I have some of them, but then again, there’s some that I don’t have and this is common. This isn’t to say that you’re certainly autistic but the traits you’ve listed are non-negligible and should be looked at.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by flamingolover)
I'm in a similar position. Are you a female? If so female autism presents differently to male autism and there is also not as much research into it. You may think you dont have lots of traits as they are more common in male autism and not female autism.
yeah i am female!!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 0ptics)
All of the traits that you’ve listed do appear in autistic people. Bad coordination, only wanting specific textures, not understanding others that well, preferring to stay in a routine etc. are traits that autistic people have. I have some of them, but then again, there’s some that I don’t have and this is common. This isn’t to say that you’re certainly autistic but the traits you’ve listed are non-negligible and should be looked at.
i guess for me the issue is not that i think these traits don't appear in autistic people/aren't a sign of autism, but that im not 100% certain if i have these traits or not because idk what the normal level is? Idk haha
flamingolover
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
yeah i am female!!
That might be why the symptoms are different! Have a look into female autism symptoms/presentation and see if you relate to that a bit more than the ‘traditional’ symptoms!
0ptics
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
i guess for me the issue is not that i think these traits don't appear in autistic people/aren't a sign of autism, but that im not 100% certain if i have these traits or not because idk what the normal level is? Idk haha
Tbh, I also don’t know what the normal level is for myself, yet alone females. As already mentioned in this thread, females can have display different symptoms (though there are sometimes cross links between male traits and female traits).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.29%
Okay (64)
29.49%
A bit lacking (81)
37.33%
Not good at all (54)
24.88%

Watched Threads