Egg donation

Watch
flamingolover
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
What do people thing about egg donation? It is something I am currently considering but I haven't decided yet. I was just wondering what other people thought!
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 days ago
I have considered it but probably wouldn't go through with it.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you.

I support ivf & commercial surrogacy, I will be going down the egg freezing and ivf routes myself.
But I am very wary of anonymous egg donation and sperm donation to enable random strangers to have a baby, regardless of whether the donor's primary motive is altruism or to earn a comfortable living.

Quite a few of my friends have made very large sums of money from donating their eggs and experienced some very nasty physical symptoms connected with side effects of the fertility meds or the follicular aspiration extraction procedure.
None have any regrets about going down the egg donation route.
They have all amassed considerable savings, don't have any student debt and have decided that they don't want a family that involves children.
Last edited by londonmyst; 4 days ago
flamingolover
Rep:
(Original post by londonmyst)
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you.

I support ivf & commercial surrogacy, I will be going down the egg freezing and ivf routes myself.
But I am very wary of anonymous egg donation and sperm donation to enable random strangers to have a baby, regardless of whether the donor's primary motive is altruism or to earn a comfortable living.

Quite a few of my friends have made very large sums of money from donating their eggs and experienced some very nasty physical symptoms connected with side effects of the fertility meds or the follicular aspiration extraction procedure.
None have any regrets about going down the egg donation route.
They have all amassed considerable savings, don't have any student debt and have decided that they don't want a family that involves children.
I think I do want to do it but im not going to do it just yet.

Its a max of £750 per cycle due to the physical stuff you have to go through and all the travel and stuff. Plus you can only make 10 families from it (max 3 kids per cycle).

It the health risks that make me wary!

Thank you for responding!
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by flamingolover)
I think I do want to do it but im not going to do it just yet.

Its a max of £750 per cycle due to the physical stuff you have to go through and all the travel and stuff. Plus you can only make 10 families from it (max 3 kids per cycle).

It the health risks that make me wary!

Thank you for responding!
£750 per cycle are the permitted expenses within the uk; where all lawful egg donations are classified as altruistic or in exchange for low cost ivf services and must not be financially motivated.
Some ivf businesses associated with overseas private clinics based in jurisdictions where commercial donations are legal pay much higher fees to egg donors and surrogates plus bear all the costs of private medical treatment.
As do the offshore incorporated fertility broker firms that often try to recruit London postgrad students as egg donors.
flamingolover
Rep:
(Original post by londonmyst)
£750 per cycle are the permitted expenses within the uk; where all lawful egg donations are classified as altruistic or in exchange for low cost ivf services and must not be financially motivated.
Some ivf businesses associated with overseas private clinics based in jurisdictions where commercial donations are legal pay much higher fees to egg donors and surrogates plus bear all the costs of private medical treatment.
As do the offshore incorporated fertility broker firms that often try to recruit London postgrad students as egg donors.
Oh I didn’t realise that! I’ll stick to the £750 as I’m doing it to help people! Thanks!!
Last edited by flamingolover; 4 days ago
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
No I couldn't do it. I want to raise my children myself.
ToastOnElephants
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
What do people thing about egg donation? It is something I am currently considering but I haven't decided yet. I was just wondering what other people thought!
Yes
flamingolover
Rep:
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
No I couldn't do it. I want to raise my children myself.
Fair enough! I currently don’t mind as I don’t feel an attachment to by eggs and im not using them but I am slightly worried that this will change after I’ve donated
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Fair enough! I currently don’t mind as I don’t feel an attachment to by eggs and im not using them but I am slightly worried that this will change after I’ve donated
Maybe it's because I already have kids, I don't know. I just couldn't bear the thought of a child of mine being out there somewhere, and I'm not the one raising him/her.

I'm not attached to an egg, but I'm attached to my kids, if that makes sense.
I mean I lose 12 eggs a year with my period anyway.
flamingolover
Rep:
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
Maybe it's because I already have kids, I don't know. I just couldn't bear the thought of a child of mine being out there somewhere, and I'm not the one raising him/her.

I'm not attached to an egg, but I'm attached to my kids, if that makes sense.
I mean I lose 12 eggs a year with my period anyway.
Yeah I understand that. I am a bit worried that once I have kids ill regret donating (if I do donate) but at the same time I want to offer families a chance to have a child especially if I dont end up having kids. I'd also be worried that they wouldn't have a good upbringing and id feel guilty. But if they have an incredible life id be happy with my decision. I'm just a bit conflicted!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (48)
32.88%
Yes - a trusted person (35)
23.97%
No (42)
28.77%
I'm not sure (21)
14.38%

Watched Threads