Study psychology without maths requirement

Watch this thread
Demons999
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello, so I'm looking to study psychology preferably in Scotland but England is fine too. However every university I've contacted seem to want a national 5 maths or higher qualification as a requirement to study psychology, which doesn't make sense to me because there's barley any maths involved in psychology other than statistics and what not, and it's not a requirement in most other countries either. I'm really taking psychology because I absolutely hate maths. Not gifted in it.

So I'm pretty terrible at maths and looked over the national 5 maths book and yeah, not doing that.. is there a way to study a psychology undergraduate degree without any maths involved?
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
What subjects do I need for psychology..........
Psychology majors need a solid background in topics such as life science, social science, math, and communication. Concentrating your studies on such topics during high school will help give you the knowledge you need to succeed as a psychology major.

Had you looked at other universities entry requirements for this as I think you'll need maths for it at whatever university you goto........
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Research methods and statistics form a huge part of a psychology degree - you'll study at least one module each year on different types of analysis, data collection and how to use statistical software. Unfortunately, maths will always play a large role in psychology - it's not something a lot of psychology students or psychologists themselves enjoy, but it's a necessary evil in terms of research.

The issue with doing a psychology degree without a maths requirement is that it'll probably be a BA rather than a BSc and therefore less likely to provide graduate membership of the BPS on completion, which is necessary to progress in psychology - every postgraduate course will ask for a BPS accredited degree, as will every assistant psychologist post.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 5 months ago
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hello Demons999

I've just completed my MSc Psychology course, and mathematics skills are very important, although you do spend little time actually sitting down doing the mathematics yourself. In Psychology (and Sociology too) you use programs such as SPSS which is a statistical analysis package a bit like Microsoft Excel. You need to understand what is going on rather than adding up a lot of numbers on paper.

Having the mathematics requirement for a Psychology course will also improve your general employability

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
21.59%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.5%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.68%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.05%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (19)
21.59%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
21.59%

Watched Threads