Would really appreciate some advice :)

Watch
EDeHavas
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey everyone!
I was uncertain about what I wanted to study at university and was thinking of psychology and neuroscience but then had doubts because it is a very popular degree and I was worried about the job prospects. I then was set on business management for the past couple of months and have written my personal statement and looked at unis. My school wants our application in by December 1st so they can add our references and so on. I’m having doubts about business management because I’m anxious I will regret it and not like it. I also can’t imagine not doing a subject without any science and supposedly it’s a very general and not intellectually stimulating degree (I’m sorry to those who study either of these courses and I don’t take this for word as I know it varies on the person). I was planning on taking a gap year before uni and having a job and also exploring my interests. My dad says I should wait and apply next September in my gap year because then I have the time to see what I really want to study and will start uni at the same time that I planned anyway. My mum thinks it would be embarrassing not to apply this year as all my friends will then be at uni and she says I will end up without a degree and working a bad job. I really do want to go to university! I’ve always enjoyed school and am very academic, my predicted grades are pretty high, I just fear making the wrong choice. What would you recommend? Can I apply now and if I change my mind in the gap year then drop my place and reapply and still enter uni the year I intended? Thank you! ☺️☺️
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Take a gap year.
One of the most common reason for dropping out of Uni is "I never wanted to do this course/go to Uni, and I was just following the crowd'"

Get a job - any job - and earn some ££, then go and do some travelling - and think about what you actually do want to do,
Nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school.
EDeHavas
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Take a gap year.
One of the most common reason for dropping out of Uni is "I never wanted to do this course/go to Uni, and I was just following the crowd'"

Get a job - any job - and earn some ££, then go and do some travelling - and think about what you actually do want to do,
Nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school.
Thank you so much
수박수지_Emma
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by EDeHavas)
Thank you so much
Yeah I completely agree, honestly me and my friend have taken gap years this year. (My friend was in a very similar situation to you - her dad telling her to take a gap year and her mum saying not to) but we’re doing a lot better than we were this year. I don’t think a gap year is best for everyone but for us it’s been really good because school never really gives you a chance to find out what you like and don’t like and what you want to do. This year I’ve had more time to think and I’ve felt so much better without all that pressure. Don’t worry you’re only 17/18 Idk how anyone expects us to know what we want for our futures at that age. Take a year off, just spend some time living for yourself and getting to know yourself better I wish you the best of luck on your adventure. Also from what I understand if you do apply this year you can ask to defer, but if you want to apply to different unis in the next year you would have to give up that place to apply elsewhere.
ashvinsingh
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by EDeHavas)
Hey everyone!
I was uncertain about what I wanted to study at university and was thinking of psychology and neuroscience but then had doubts because it is a very popular degree and I was worried about the job prospects. I then was set on business management for the past couple of months and have written my personal statement and looked at unis. My school wants our application in by December 1st so they can add our references and so on. I’m having doubts about business management because I’m anxious I will regret it and not like it. I also can’t imagine not doing a subject without any science and supposedly it’s a very general and not intellectually stimulating degree (I’m sorry to those who study either of these courses and I don’t take this for word as I know it varies on the person). I was planning on taking a gap year before uni and having a job and also exploring my interests. My dad says I should wait and apply next September in my gap year because then I have the time to see what I really want to study and will start uni at the same time that I planned anyway. My mum thinks it would be embarrassing not to apply this year as all my friends will then be at uni and she says I will end up without a degree and working a bad job. I really do want to go to university! I’ve always enjoyed school and am very academic, my predicted grades are pretty high, I just fear making the wrong choice. What would you recommend? Can I apply now and if I change my mind in the gap year then drop my place and reapply and still enter uni the year I intended? Thank you! ☺️☺️
It’s better for you to wait a year rather than waste a year in uni doing a course you don’t want to do then swapping, £9k+ down the drain, stress etc it’s better to figure out what interests you then apply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (3)
8.11%
Okay (13)
35.14%
A bit lacking (11)
29.73%
Not good at all (10)
27.03%

Watched Threads