EngStudent2022
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone, so I'll be moving out of home next year for university. I am slightly nervous I've never moved out before. I doubt my parents will be very happy. What's it like living with other students does everyone get along? I've heard stories ranging from roommates being fwbs to everyone finding living together fairly annoying. I suppose I just want to know is it an enjoyable experience having roommates?
Last edited by EngStudent2022; 1 month ago
one_two_three
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Most universities have individual rooms and I think that makes it good that you have your own space within your flat. It's like anywhere, you might get along with your flatmates and you might not. Most of my friends came from my course and sports team because we had interests together, and while I was friendly with my flatmates, the friendships didn't really continue after first year. But it is a safe way to move out and experience independence without being completely thrown in at the deep end. You have to manage your finances but not many bills, and if you are struggling with anything the uni has everything you need to help. It is independence but without the harsh reality straight away - like a comfort stepping stone.
EngStudent2022
Rep:
(Original post by one_two_three)
Most universities have individual rooms and I think that makes it good that you have your own space within your flat. It's like anywhere, you might get along with your flatmates and you might not. Most of my friends came from my course and sports team because we had interests together, and while I was friendly with my flatmates, the friendships didn't really continue after first year. But it is a safe way to move out and experience independence without being completely thrown in at the deep end. You have to manage your finances but not many bills, and if you are struggling with anything the uni has everything you need to help. It is independence but without the harsh reality straight away - like a comfort stepping stone.
That's great, thanks. I've never lived away from home so it's slightly daunting. The social aspect of uni is a big thing for me so I hope I have great fun flatmates haha.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by EngStudent2022)
Hello everyone, so I'll be moving out of home next year for university. I am slightly nervous I've never moved out before. I doubt my parents will be very happy. What's it like living with other students does everyone get along? I've heard stories ranging from roommates being fwbs to everyone finding living together fairly annoying. I suppose I just want to know is it an enjoyable experience having roommates?
First of all being nervous is a completely normal it all very new and a bit daunting I was a jangling bag of nerves my first time too. You parents might support you your kind of learning to take care of your self it's a good thing. Most students will get along ok enough even if you don't become bosom buddies with the people you live with first year you will defiantly make some friends be it in halls on your course in societies or most likely all 3. We don't really have roommates in the UK but some flatmates might be screwing around. there will be good and bad aspects to living in halls like every thing in life. Ask say you will have flatmates and mostlikley not room mates it fairly enjoyable though I think you'll have a good time.
EngStudent2022
Rep:
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
First of all being nervous is a completely normal it all very new and a bit daunting I was a jangling bag of nerves my first time too. You parents might support you your kind of learning to take care of your self it's a good thing. Most students will get along ok enough even if you don't become bosom buddies with the people you live with first year you will defiantly make some friends be it in halls on your course in societies or most likely all 3. We don't really have roommates in the UK but some flatmates might be screwing around. there will be good and bad aspects to living in halls like every thing in life. Ask say you will have flatmates and mostlikley not room mates it fairly enjoyable though I think you'll have a good time.
Thanks a lot. The making friends part is very important to me.
bunnyrabbit2
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Depends on you, depends on your flatmates. People always say "you can't just sit in your room and expect to meet people", but they won't explain how you are supposed to meet people.
EngStudent2022
Rep:
(Original post by bunnyrabbit2)
Depends on you, depends on your flatmates. People always say "you can't just sit in your room and expect to meet people", but they won't explain how you are supposed to meet people.
That's true. What would you recommend as the best ways to meet people?
bunnyrabbit2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
That's true. What would you recommend as the best ways to meet people?
Join a club or team that is related to something of interest to you. You will meet people naturally through participating in that club or team.

There will probably be a residence Don who will organize social events like a trip to an event in town. Encourage people in your hall to go with you as a chance to support the Don and to see some of your city. It is not fair when a Don organizes an event and nobody goes.
TriplexA
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for starting this thread. I feel exactly the same.
Which uni are you going to if you don't mind me asking?
Last edited by TriplexA; 1 month ago
EngStudent2022
Rep:
Join a club or team that is related to something of interest to you. You will meet people naturally through participating in that club or team.

There will probably be a residence Don who will organize social events like a trip to an event in town. Encourage people in your hall to go with you as a chance to support the Don and to see some of your city. It is not fair when a Don organizes an event and nobody goes.
That's great thanks. I've never heard of a residence Don before.
EngStudent2022
Rep:
(Original post by TriplexA)
Thanks for starting this thread. I feel exactly the same.
Which uni are you going to if you don't mind me asking?
Brunel University London. It all feels like a leap into the unknown.
Last edited by EngStudent2022; 1 month ago
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Brunel University London. It all feels like a leap into the unknown.
Yes I understand that feeling. Moving 200+ miles away from my home 😭

Congrats on getting into uni! Hopefully we can do this.
EngStudent2022
Rep:

Haha well not officially confirmed yet but hopefully. 🙏
Yep we got this bro/sis!
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Haha well not officially confirmed yet but hopefully. 🙏
Yep we got this bro/sis
Do you know anyone down there or is it far from home like my uni?
EngStudent2022
Rep:
Do you know anyone down there or is it far from home like my uni?
It's about 1 hour away on the train from where I live currently. Thankfully I have friends who were there and still seem to visit occasionally. Hopefully that'll help to make the transition easier.
missversace
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I got into Brunel today ( conditional ) and I’m moving to London which is around 2 and a half hours from home lol I’m kinda scared aswell
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by missversace)
I got into Brunel today ( conditional ) and I’m moving to London which is around 2 and a half hours from home lol I’m kinda scared aswell
Congrats!
Your not the only one so don't worry. And I'm glad you may both be going to the same uni!

Best wishes.
EngStudent2022
Rep:
(Original post by missversace)
Congratulations! Yeah it's daunting although from what I hear from others at Brunel living there is great so I'm sure we'll all transition a lot easier than we think.
bunnyrabbit2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

I don't know why anyone would want to move 200+ miles away from home. Won't you feel trapped when you are there if you want to go back home?
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I don't know why anyone would want to move 200+ miles away from home. Won't you feel trapped when you are there if you want to go back home?
Hi there
Its not by choice. I applied for unis closer to home however was rejected. My circumstance of being an A level resitter applying to medicine meant my options were significantly restricted. I am incredibly grateful that I got a place however it doesn't mean I don't feel nervous about being so far from home - hoping people can understand my situation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads