Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hi! i’m from cardiff and thinking of going to edinburgh for uni, it’s about 8 or more hours away. do you think that’s too far? i’m pretty close to my family though i don’t get homesick. any advice
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
If you've got somewhere to stay, no I don't think it's too far.

I'm sure your parents will miss you, but otherwise it's a great opportunity to gain some independence and see other parts of the country.

You're only young once.
Paulina-paulina
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hi! i’m from cardiff and thinking of going to edinburgh for uni, it’s about 8 or more hours away. do you think that’s too far? i’m pretty close to my family though i don’t get homesick. any advice
It depends how often you would like to see them/go back home. I live 1.5h from my parents now and regularly pop in to see them. If I live further that would be a lot less regular but I would still have managed to adapt to the new uni life but in a different way. Bear in mind you may get homesick when u know u can’t easily see them often. Edinburgh’s a great uni and distance shouldn’t put you off. If your mental well-being will get worse cause you can’t see them they maybe go somewhere closer but it’s your choice in the end
ashvinsingh
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Personally I am moving about 2 and a half hours away, if you’re going to visit your family 3 times a year then it’s fine but if you want to pop in to see your family from time to time it’ll take a long time and be very expensive to travel. Wouldn’t studying at edinburgh mean you have to complete an additional year at uni too?
Max1989
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I'm from Cardiff and go to Glasgow , I fly, yes the initial drive is 8 hours but flying you are only 3 hours away (including getting to the Scottish airport, flying then getting home to Cardiff from Bristol Airport) plus its far cheaper. Fly to Bristol that is then come back over to Cardiff, you don't even need to pay the toll anymore.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
You can fly from Bristol to Edinburgh
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...fu=EgYIARABGAA
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (36)
9.84%
Okay (106)
28.96%
A bit lacking (135)
36.89%
Not good at all (89)
24.32%

Watched Threads