Worried about upcoming police medical - mental health

Watch
Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right place but my application process is nearing its end and with that so is my medical.
I'm sure most officers or people on here probably don't think twice about theirs. My fitness is fine. My eyesight is terrible but I can wear glasses and in the process of getting contact lenses. My BMI is fine. Everything, physically, is fine. What I'm worried about is when they ask about my mental health.
My mental health right now, and for the past few months, has been great, in fact the best it's ever been in probably for as logn as I can remember. (i'm 18.). However, in the past it has been anything but fine. Been on antidepressants (sertraline) since October 2020, however have gone down from 150mg to 50mg. At my lowest, I sat on a bridge for a minute or two and wondered what it'd be like to jump off it. I didn't, and I got back up, and I think this says a lot about how I've coped; I'm incredibly resilient, and since that time I have never gone back, only gone up.

My depression is well managed with the medication and even when I've gone without it for a few days I've been absolutely fine. I was trying to get a letter from my GP to sign me off or endorse my application? But the appointment that I booked today wasn't until like mid December, yet I found out later today if I'm successful in all my assessments I'll be starting oin the 4th Jan. Eek.

I believe my depression to mostly stem from the fact for years I had undiagnosed Aspergers (ASD) which has made conventional social interactions difficult, however, I don't lack qualities like empathy that are essential to the role of a police officer. In fact I believe my mental health struggles have made me even more empathetic.

I'm worried because it's the only part of the process thats out of my control. I feel like I'm being punished, I';m going to be interrogated and have my entire character challenged based on a health condition that I had no control over. It's not as if I committed a crime. I know its a "case by case" basis but I just want some guidance from people who have been there. I've got so far and it would seem ridiculous for me to fail at this point.

Can anyone try and put my mind at rest here? In terms of any other conditiosn I have, I also have high funtioning anxiety but its social related and in terms of the situations a police officer would encounter, eg, danger, I wouldn't find it too difficult.
petertyerman
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 days ago
it is extremely common for those with undiagnosed asd to mental health issues as they are trying to fit into a mold they do not fit into.Once you have a diagnosis you learn to understand your interactions with others. ASD should be considered a really postive in a career where accuracy is important and you should be positive about it advantages while showing you understand that area where you will be different if it is raised. You may come across those who think autistics do not have empathy it is not really true they just struggle to demonstate it as are sometimes overwhelmed by the complexities of emotional situations.As a police office this should rarely be a problem as you are not directly involved with the emotion and in some situations the ability to look at emotional situations in logiical way which many autistics can do is some time a real positive. The equality act protects you so I would expect there to be no problems with your back ground.
Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by petertyerman)
it is extremely common for those with undiagnosed asd to mental health issues as they are trying to fit into a mold they do not fit into.Once you have a diagnosis you learn to understand your interactions with others. ASD should be considered a really postive in a career where accuracy is important and you should be positive about it advantages while showing you understand that area where you will be different if it is raised. You may come across those who think autistics do not have empathy it is not really true they just struggle to demonstate it as are sometimes overwhelmed by the complexities of emotional situations.As a police office this should rarely be a problem as you are not directly involved with the emotion and in some situations the ability to look at emotional situations in logiical way which many autistics can do is some time a real positive. The equality act protects you so I would expect there to be no problems with your back ground.
Exactly, its just more the fact I've been suicidal in the past and am still on medication (though cant remember the last time i felt suicidal).
And I still have a good level of emotional intelligence, way above average if online tests are anything to go on. (probably not but people always sayI'm, goog at putting my feelings into words)
one_two_three
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
No one on here can give you an answer. On the medical conditions it is something that will require further investigation by the force you are applying to.

The typical person in their lifetime will experience a handful of traumatic incidents. As a police officer you can experience this is in a week (a really bad week). But even those with 'perfect' mental health are still likely to be affected by what they experience throughout their career. That is why it is considered as part of the application process - the force have to consider the risks to you and also the risk of sick leave/early retirement. You will be questioned, there is the possibility that they will request further reports and it is completely out of your hands. It really is on a case by case basis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (1)
8.33%
Okay (5)
41.67%
A bit lacking (3)
25%
Not good at all (3)
25%

Watched Threads