Do I have to take HL Chem for Marine Biology in uni

Watch
pirating
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m on my last year of GCSEs and I’m going to boarding school in the UK next year for IB diploma.The subjects I’d like are HL Bio, Business and Art and SL English Langlit, AA Math and Chinese B Half of me wants to take Marine Bio and the other half wants to take Art in uni, and my strongest subject is business and art right now. I want to keep my options open while studying the IB so I can pick my uni/career based on my progress and grades as well as interests, but I’m not sure if HL Chem is required for Marine BiologyShould I change my subjects? Help!
booklover1313
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by pirating)
I’m on my last year of GCSEs and I’m going to boarding school in the UK next year for IB diploma.The subjects I’d like are HL Bio, Business and Art and SL English Langlit, AA Math and Chinese B Half of me wants to take Marine Bio and the other half wants to take Art in uni, and my strongest subject is business and art right now. I want to keep my options open while studying the IB so I can pick my uni/career based on my progress and grades as well as interests, but I’m not sure if HL Chem is required for Marine BiologyShould I change my subjects? Help!
Hi! For a lot of marine biology courses, they would like 2 sciences/a science and maths. For example, St Andrews has a very good reputation for marine biology, and they want 'Standard entry grades: 36 (HL 6,6,5), including HL6 in Biology and HL6 in one of the following subjects: Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics.' I'll be honest with you, I don't know anything about business, but I don't think it is a 'well respected' HL/A level subject in the UK. Most academically selective schools don't offer it. I would switch that one out, and keep up your interest by reading books.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
As above you probably won't need chemistry specifically, but you will likely need a second science/maths subject to HL. That said, even if you don't take the "right" subjects at A-level you can do a degree with a foundation year - such as the marine biology with foundation year course at Southampton, which is also a good uni for marine sciences with it's connection with the NOCS. That said it would be easiest to just take a second science (or maths) to HL in the first place.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.71%
Okay (70)
29.05%
A bit lacking (90)
37.34%
Not good at all (60)
24.9%

Watched Threads