How can you make friends on course?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey everyone,

I'm a 1st year commuter student, and I'm having no luck with making friends. The societies don't really interest me and don't fit in with the timetable, so I thought coursemates would be the way to go.

I barely get a chance to meet others during lectures and seminars, and when I do, I don't see them again because of different people in every lectures/seminar and like 500 people attending each lecture.

How do people make good friends on their course? Alot of people in my seminars and lectures are in groups somehow, and I only have a few minutes to talk to people because they rush off to somewhere else.

Thanks in advance.
dwadaw
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey everyone,

I'm a 1st year commuter student, and I'm having no luck with making friends. The societies don't really interest me and don't fit in with the timetable, so I thought coursemates would be the way to go.

I barely get a chance to meet others during lectures and seminars, and when I do, I don't see them again because of different people in every lectures/seminar and like 500 people attending each lecture.

How do people make good friends on their course? Alot of people in my seminars and lectures are in groups somehow, and I only have a few minutes to talk to people because they rush off to somewhere else.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds scary but just go sit next to someone and say hey and talk to them about where they are from what they did at A-levels and so on. I actually just started work I said to someone 'Hey I am new I do not know anyone here wanna be friends' worked great I have made more friends since. It is all about being confident.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance.
Hi there,

I hope you are well.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having no luck with friends at the moment

I'm also sorry to hear that there are no societies that interest you. I would recommend speaking to your Student Union and seeing if you can set a society up and become a president! This would not only help you make good friends, as it'll attract people who have the same interest as you - but it will also look great on your CV. Alternatively, if you want to make friends with people on your course, try waiting around a few minutes earlier before your lecture / seminar. Hopefully, a few people will show up before then and you'll be able to make a bit of small talk. In seminars, if there are particular people you want to be friends with then ask for their socials, and see if they want to study with you etc. You might not end up studying, but it's a gateway into making friends and opening that line of communication!

As well, try and compliment someone! Not only will this make their day, but hopefully it'll start a conversation and then you can get the ball rolling! I did this with a couple of people in my seminar, and now we're all best friends - so it's a tried and tested approach!

Best of luck to you,

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep
De Montfort University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

Have you considered being your Course's Rep? With a huge amount of people in your course, I can imagine it being a nightmare to keep track of who you speak with, as well as it being difficult to get close with them. I found that being a rep allows you to form better relationships with your coursemates.

Foremost as a rep, you are there to support your cohort. They may look to you for help/information. This type of interaction helped me become friends with my coursemates. They found it easier to talk to me rather than our tutors. Over time, they would open up and put their trust in me to vocalise their course concerns/queries.

Engagement and being present are factors that gravitate people towards you. Being a rep gave me those factors and helped me reach out to my coursemates to befriend them.

Hope this helps,
Jesse, 3rd Year Animation Student
Lancaster University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

I agree with what the other reps have said above.
One positive of your large course size is you have a huge range of people to meet. I would recommend making small take with people and if you guys click, try asking for their social media (or if you remember the name of someone you liked, try to find them online). It may seem a bit forward, but it would allow you talk to people more and establish connections. It may mean you can organize walking in to lectures together, go to the pub etc.

I don't know how your university is set up in terms of layout, but just spending more time on campus may help you meet new people - I'm not saying come in just for that, but rather when you are already there.
This year I made a real effort to put myself out there, I ended up asking an already established group, who I had spoken to a maximum of twice, if I could join them for lunch. Now I m good friends with them, I eat lunch with them regularly and work together in the library.

Hope this helps.
Jake (third year at Lancaster University)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (24)
9.92%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (10)
4.13%
Finding the time to revise (15)
6.2%
Finding the motivation (65)
26.86%
Getting distracted (44)
18.18%
Procrastination (81)
33.47%
Having the tools you need (1)
0.41%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
0.83%

Watched Threads