Natural science or just biology in uni?

Watch
Bookworm524
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I used to want to be a vet when I was younger (I'm in year 12 now) but I'm having second thoughts. I'm exploring other courses, science mostly, and I think I'd like to study biology instead. Also I saw the natural sciences course too by chance, and it looks pretty great as I also take Maths and Chemistry a levels as well as biology.
Would the natural sciences course be better as there's more things available to study, or biology better because more unis offer it so I'm more likely to get in? My primary interest is in biology, after all.
re_gan112
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bookworm524)
I used to want to be a vet when I was younger (I'm in year 12 now) but I'm having second thoughts. I'm exploring other courses, science mostly, and I think I'd like to study biology instead. Also I saw the natural sciences course too by chance, and it looks pretty great as I also take Maths and Chemistry a levels as well as biology.
Would the natural sciences course be better as there's more things available to study, or biology better because more unis offer it so I'm more likely to get in? My primary interest is in biology, after all.
go for whichever one you feel is best for you.
Zuvio
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Bookworm524)
You can apply to biology at some unis and natural sciences at others. The unis know that not everywhere offers natural sciences, and they also know that students may already have a preference, so it shouldn't harm your application if you mainly talk about biology on your personal statement.
Although we do draw divisions between the sciences in our education system, they are purely artificial. There will be lots of cases where taking the chemistry a bit further will help you with biology. I think you can study biology just as well on a natural sciences course as on a biology course.

However, natural science courses at different unis are structured differently (as are biology ones for that matter), so I'd advise you decide where to apply based on the specific course, rather than thinking that all the degrees have to have the same title.
Last edited by Zuvio; 6 days ago
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
5 Reasons to study Natural Sciences (Bath) - https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/5-r...iences-at-bath
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (143)
33.49%
Yes - a trusted person (110)
25.76%
No (119)
27.87%
I'm not sure (55)
12.88%

Watched Threads