Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am a second year student studying biomedical science and really having a nightmare with the whole course.
I transferred after my first year to a different university just as it was better for me. I’m nearly at Christmas now and then I’ll be half way through my degree, with only third year left where I can choose modules and my dissertation project so could choose a remote option.
I absolutely hate being away from my home and struggle with severe depression and anxiety. The uni is an hour and a half by car but I feel this is too far to commute. I do have friends and have joined societies but still cannot settle here and come home every weekend. I feel I’m at the end of trying now and just want to quit but I also want to get this degree. I can’t go on being this upset either. I have spoke to the counselling team too but it doesn’t make much difference when I just need to be at home. TIA
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am a second year student studying biomedical science and really having a nightmare with the whole course.
I transferred after my first year to a different university just as it was better for me. I’m nearly at Christmas now and then I’ll be half way through my degree, with only third year left where I can choose modules and my dissertation project so could choose a remote option.
I absolutely hate being away from my home and struggle with severe depression and anxiety. The uni is an hour and a half by car but I feel this is too far to commute. I do have friends and have joined societies but still cannot settle here and come home every weekend. I feel I’m at the end of trying now and just want to quit but I also want to get this degree. I can’t go on being this upset either. I have spoke to the counselling team too but it doesn’t make much difference when I just need to be at home. TIA
Hi there,

I'm very sorry you have found yourself in this situation.

I know you have already transferred but is there anyway you could go to uni closer to home or as you said study online? Another thought is maybe you can talk to your course leader about your situation and they might be able to give you some advice. I can't imagine you're the only student to have gone through this kind of situation.

Sometimes keeping yourself busy during the week can also help you feel less homesick so maybe you could do some more social & physical activities, maybe pickup a new hobby and see how that helps you?

Do you ring and facetime your family when you're at uni? I think that can make a big difference to, when you're able to see their faces.

Another question I have is are you enjoying the course itself or is the course also making you upset during your time at uni?

I would also say keep getting therapy/help because its much better to talk and get support in this situation then try and face it alone.

All the best,

Jubilee - UoP Rep
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi there,

I'm very sorry you have found yourself in this situation.

I know you have already transferred but is there anyway you could go to uni closer to home or as you said study online? Another thought is maybe you can talk to your course leader about your situation and they might be able to give you some advice. I can't imagine you're the only student to have gone through this kind of situation.

Sometimes keeping yourself busy during the week can also help you feel less homesick so maybe you could do some more social & physical activities, maybe pickup a new hobby and see how that helps you?

Do you ring and facetime your family when you're at uni? I think that can make a big difference to, when you're able to see their faces.

Another question I have is are you enjoying the course itself or is the course also making you upset during your time at uni?

I would also say keep getting therapy/help because its much better to talk and get support in this situation then try and face it alone.

All the best,

Jubilee - UoP Rep
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
I do get help and I have taken up a few societies to keep myself busy and they help and make me happy but the other times I find hard.
I really feel homesick most of the time there and I can’t transfer now as it’s too far into the year but could maybe next year but then I’ve only got one year left and don’t think I’ll even make it to that point anyways.
I wish I could do it remotely and just do labs in there on the grounds of mental health
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (36)
9.81%
Okay (107)
29.16%
A bit lacking (135)
36.78%
Not good at all (89)
24.25%

Watched Threads