What's the difference?

Watch this thread
_Robyn_
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Ik this is probably a dumb question to most but what is the difference between a bachelor's and a master's degree? Ik a master's is a year longer I think. Like can I go straight out of college into a masters? Or is it that u have to do a bachelor's first?
flamingolover
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
A bachelors degree is you basic undergraduate degree. It's what most people get when they go to uni for the first time.

A masters degree is basically the level between a bachelors degree and a PHD. They are normally a year. Some unis/courses let you do this combined with your bachelors but you can also do a masters degree separately after you graduate.

You have to do a bachelors degree to get a masters (there are occasionally exceptions if you've had lots and lots fo experience in that field but this is rare)
Last edited by flamingolover; 5 months ago
Adz2042
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
A bachelors degree takes about 3 years or so, and goes like this:

Year 1: the starter year. You learn how uni life is, what the work structure is like, fresher's parties in there, meet your colleagues etc. You also can qualify for student finance to help fund your studies, and throw in a part time job here to help.

Year 2: the work begins. You know the structure, so produce the work.

Year 3: the final hurdle. With Year 2 work done, you know what else you need to achieve for those grades. Oh and there's a final dissertation to write up for most of it.

A masters degree (postgraduate) is 3 years combined in 1. You have about 6 weeks of lectures, and the rest is spent 'self studying' for the master's dissertation. You also don't get student finance and have to fund it yourself (more expensive too).
But the pay difference for the job you want is wayy better if you have a masters degree under your name.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Adz2042)
A masters degree (postgraduate) is 3 years combined in 1. You have about 6 weeks of lectures, and the rest is spent 'self studying' for the master's dissertation. You also don't get student finance and have to fund it yourself (more expensive too).
But the pay difference for the job you want is wayy better if you have a masters degree under your name.
That's not entirely true. I had 2 semesters worth of contact time for my MA, just like a year of an undergrad, then the summer for the dissertation. You can get a postgraduate loan for a masters degree, but this is not income-assessed and usually doesn't cover both fees and living costs.
Adz2042
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
That's not entirely true. I had 2 semesters worth of contact time for my MA, just like a year of an undergrad, then the summer for the dissertation. You can get a postgraduate loan for a masters degree, but this is not income-assessed and usually doesn't cover both fees and living costs.
Ahh okay.
When I considered a master's at Wolverhampton, I was told it would be about 6 weeks of lectures followed by a ton of self-study.
Guessing it's different depending on the uni you attend for the masters.
Thanks
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Adz2042)
Ahh okay.
When I considered a master's at Wolverhampton, I was told it would be about 6 weeks of lectures followed by a ton of self-study.
Guessing it's different depending on the uni you attend for the masters.
Thanks
Wow, that's a very small amount of contact time - I had twice that in one semester alone! Which masters course was this out of interest?
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I see we haven't mentioned Integrated Masters courses yet. These are a single undergraduate degree that awards you a Masters on completion. They're typically 4 years in length and most give you the option to finish early with a regular Bachelor's degree if you change your mind.
Adz2042
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Wow, that's a very small amount of contact time - I had twice that in one semester alone! Which masters course was this out of interest?
It was for ICT, but this was back in 2015 (when I graduated), so things may have improved since then.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
To correct someone else on this thread, you can actually get funding for a masters degree. It's not means tested so won't be based on what you/your parents earn, and you can borrow as much or as little as the set amount as you want.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (37)
34.26%
The paper was reasonable (42)
38.89%
Not feeling great about that exam... (18)
16.67%
It was TERRIBLE (11)
10.19%

Watched Threads