How do you balance your work and study life?

Watch
ENUOfficial
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Its coming up for exam time which means the suspense is almost over for the first half of the year!

To those who are holding a part time job as well as studying, how do you manage it and what's your advice to others who are in the same situation?
tinyperson
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
dedicated study days
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ENUOfficial)
Its coming up for exam time which means the suspense is almost over for the first half of the year!

To those who are holding a part time job as well as studying, how do you manage it and what's your advice to others who are in the same situation?
Hi! ENUOfficial

I like to keep a weekly calendar to organise what I do each day. This helps me balance time between work, study and social life etc. As long as you stick to it and actually do work when you've set to do it then it should be really helpful. Don't forget to be realistic about what you set and give yourself breaks.
When I'm home sometimes I'll go to the local library and do some work instead of being distracted at home.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Tracey_W
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 week ago

I use to study my coursework that I needed to write up each day after finishing university and it was samething when I did any placements as I did try to do it when getting home at 8.30pm or 8.30/9am if was on nightshifts while having the information fresh in my mind but sometimes it had to wait to next morning if not back in on placement ( depending how days was rotored that week / month ).
Plus work part-time 2 days a week. I did find it hard at first till I got into things and then got on with it. If anybody can't cope with studying at university/placements and fit in a part-time job then don't sacrifice your university degree for sake of few extra pounds in pockets. Always prioritise your university degree first and foremost.
Give it a go and see how you cope. You can have a social life as well if you plan it out properly as I did manage to get time out but I wouldn't go if I hadn't completed my study coursework first as that was important over a few drinks etc on night out.

A former Napier student midwife.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago

ENUOfficial Hiya, this can be a particularly stressful time of year indeed with exams, deadlines and Christmas to think about. Having a part-time job on top of this can definitely add another layer of tension. However, I find that the best way to balance uni and work life around these times is to make weekly calendars as well as a to-do list that goes hand-in-hand. That way, you can dedicate study time of specific subjects to certain dates when you're free to try and balance it all out. Don't overload yourself and know your personal limits.

If you're particularly struggling, don't be afraid to discuss this with whoever necessary at your part-time job to maybe change your hours at work. Prioritising mental health and studies is really important! I hope it all goes well!

Quinn
SHU Student Ambassador
Kingston University
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hello there

I have to balance 3 jobs, a master and a social life. For me it is essential to have a calendar, my post sticks and loads of support from my family and friends.

I use my calendar to plan ahead and to make sure I don't have too much going on around this time.

I also let my boss know in advance that the week before exams I will need to do less hours so I can concentrate on my studies

My friends are pretty awesome and supportive and they understand that right now I am pretty busy, but that in a couple of weeks we will be able to celebrate! So that also keeps me motivated.

Between studying I always try to arrange going for walks with my friends or inviting them home for dinner, so that helps with my stress levels and my mental health.

I am loving hearing what everyone else do!
Andrea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.75%
Okay (106)
29.53%
A bit lacking (131)
36.49%
Not good at all (87)
24.23%

Watched Threads