Should i make more friends at uni?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So im in uni halls 1st year with 4 others, however a lot of my friends came last year and i often hang with them once or twice a week at uni and go out and ive kind of rejected my flat mates a bit.

I havent really made good friends with my flat even though we have been out a lot together, and often i just say hi and have a little chat every now and then, however i see a lot of people having loads of friends at uni including my friends who came last year, and my flat mates seem to get on a lot better than i am.

ive made a few friends whilst at uni, like my course mates and just people you meet going out, however i mostly stick to my old mates and hang with them. is it bad to just stick with your old mates?

P.S Im quite introverted so its a bit hard to make friends or atleast take a friendship to the next step and hang out a lot more thats why i mostly stick to my old mates.
Rodelix
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
You need to normalize making friends to enjoy the campus life more
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
You are fine. No need to extend yourself if you are introverted and feel uncomfortable. There is not magic number of friends one should have at uni - just the number you are comfortable having.
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So im in uni halls 1st year with 4 others, however a lot of my friends came last year and i often hang with them once or twice a week at uni and go out and ive kind of rejected my flat mates a bit.

I havent really made good friends with my flat even though we have been out a lot together, and often i just say hi and have a little chat every now and then, however i see a lot of people having loads of friends at uni including my friends who came last year, and my flat mates seem to get on a lot better than i am.

ive made a few friends whilst at uni, like my course mates and just people you meet going out, however i mostly stick to my old mates and hang with them. is it bad to just stick with your old mates?

P.S Im quite introverted so its a bit hard to make friends or atleast take a friendship to the next step and hang out a lot more thats why i mostly stick to my old mates.
Hello,

Try not to think too much into this and compare yourself to others! I know that can be easier said than done but at the end of the day, if you feel happy, that is what matters.

I didn't go on to live with my flat mates in first year but I still consider them my friends. Others around me have gone on to live with their flat mates and they are just as happy as me! Each situation is different from person to person.

You can say you have new friends in your flat and on your course, you do not have to spend all of your time with them to prove this. It is absolutely okay to keep old friends. In a lot of cases, people have to make new friends because their old friends are not there, but your situation is different.

You know yourself and what you can handle. It is good to reach out to people and meet up every now and then to push yourself but again, as long as you are happy, that is the main thing.

Lydia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (36)
9.84%
Okay (106)
28.96%
A bit lacking (135)
36.89%
Not good at all (89)
24.32%

Watched Threads